Sign in to follow this  
chris g

Engine idle speed

My 2.0 16v idles a bit funny some times. About 50% of the time it sits at just over 1000 rpm but the other 50% it sits at about 900 rpm. It also seems to be going up and down very slightly (50- 100 rpm) on idle.

What could be causing this?

Chris

Your ISV valve might need a clean out, also might be worth replacing the temp sensor for the ISV. Check your air filter & intake also for any blocks/build-ups. When was the timing last done on your car?

I know the exhaust manifold ic cracked, could this have anything to do with it? Where is the ISV, and what can I clean it with? carb cleaner or something? Timing will have been done today as I'm having all the belts changed. I'll see how it is when I pick it up.

isv.jpg

Is to the right of the inlet manifold below the distributor. I soaked mine in petrol for a while seemed to clean it out.

Im not sure where exactly where it is on the 2.0 16V but if you look on the right side of the head you will see all the switches/sensors.

Its No 2 in this photo of a 1.8 16V (behind the black wire) Im nearly sure the late 16Vs were a bit different tho. Its a single pin sender with a red and green wire, you can see the black plug broken off here in this pic. Be sure and check before replacing any of these senders cus I know the ECU is different on the late 94 16Vs.

switch3c.jpg