Sign in to follow this  
task

Engine timing. I give up!.

This is the third time I Set the engine timinig,I dont know what is happening. every time I set it right(by a mechanic) , then after about less than a week it goes up by one degree :mad: what is the normal timing degree by the way? what is causing this to happen?? I read on some other thread on the forum that it could be a vacum leak from somewhere that is causing this to happen is it related to any sensor. please give me your opinion because I GIVE UP, :cry:

which engine? a few more details will help us to help you... ;)

I would be surprised if you could measure the ignition timing to within a degree.

Does it start pimking or something? How come you are monitoring it so closely?

Gavin

yes sometime it stars pinking..

How come you are monitoring it so closely?

Gavin

do you mean it is ok if it is up one degree?

OK, normal ignition timing on a G60 is 6degrees BTDC at 3500rpm

To set this you need to remove the blue temp sender connector and rev the engine a couple of times to over 2500rpm. Set the revs at 3500 and then adjust the dizzy to get your 6 degrees. Make sure you use the mark on the flywheel (slightly harder to see, but cannot be wrong) to set the timing against the mark on the gearbox inspection hole. Once you've set the timing, adjust the tickover speed using the brass screw on the back of the throttle body. Then reconnect the blue temp sensor and the idle should stay at the level you set it at.

How do you know that the timing keeps changing? :| If you're checking it withoug taking the blue temp sensor connector off, then the timing's supposed to change as the engine allows for differences in fuel, coolant temperature etc etc etc...

Any more details/symptoms?

Any more details/symptoms?

whenever I start the car in the morning it shokes for acouple of times then starts, with revs about 1300.(I have a push start button could this affect anything?)

I set mine to 925rpm, but that wasn't a standard engine... I'm not sure what the factory setting should be...

Gav? do you know?

I set mine to 925rpm, but that wasn't a standard engine... I'm not sure what the factory setting should be...

Gav? do you know?

What MR Supercharged says is good. You can tell if it's racing or labouring. I just set it so it sounds comfortable.

Task, can I clear up what you are asking about engine timing? You have mechanical timing, between crank, head and distributer position.

There is also ignition timing, when the spark occurs in relation to engine position, usually before top dead centre(BTDC).

Which one are you talking about mate?

Gavin

i think it is the ignition timing I meant, I am also trying to get a comfortable sound out of my car too, when the timing is off It sounds like some american muscle car. engine pinking and loader than usual.

If you have had the ign timing done a couple of times to correct pinking, I wonder if maybe you have got a problem with the bottom pulley.

Do a search about crank bolts and read all there is.

A good friend of mine had a 16V and we found out just in time that the bolt was loose and the pulley had moved. It pulled like a train with small throttle openings but a big right foot would have it pinking like mad.

I think that you should get that bolt removed, check the bottom pulley and fit the bolt from a DX motor as insurance. If the pulley has been damaged you can get them overnight from VW if you order early enough in the day. In fact you could get one ordered over the phone and pull your car apart when you know it's on the shelf at the dealers. If you don't need it, start using a different dealer. :mrgreen:

Gavin

I am still having problems, and to be honest I really dont know what or where to start..I still think it is the timing that is off (pinking, engine sounds rough). it usually starts weird in the morining, I have to crank it up for two or three times to get it started but after a while, like for about a 20 minute drive or so when I try and start it again It start with almost no crank the secound I push the start button it starts right up...is that related to any timing thing.

Thank you.