Sign in to follow this  
KarmannVR6

Heater matrix gone pop!

Yesterday my heater matrix sprung a big leak and stared leaking coolent into the footwells. For the moment ive just bypassed the matrix by joining the two pipes together that go through the bulkhead.

How can i get to the matrix to replace it?

It doesnt look easy, do i have to take out the dash? If so how?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

You should hit the search mate.. this has been talked about lots. But in short, yeah, its a dash out job to do it properly!

Get a new one from VW according to Steve Cresswell of C & R. He reckons pattern ones not that hot. Unless it looks like its a genuine one thats had the nuber removed.

Gavin

Should be similar to my Passat.

Remove:

Clocks

switches

stereo

heater controls

steering wheel(maybe)

Bolts on each end of dash

anything else that stops it coming out.

Under the bonnet dsiconnect matrix pipes. Undo the 10mm nuts that go on 3 or 4 studs which secure the heater box top the bulkhead.

With that removed you can swap the matrix.

Refit is reversal of removal..........

Likely to take half a day. Be prepared for loads of new rattles and squeaks.

Gavin

There are also 2 bolts under the bonnet that hold the dash in. Near the windscreen wipers that is you don't know about them you'll spend hours trying to work out how you can undo everysingle bolt in the car and still not be able to get the bolldy dash out!!

Thanks guys, dash coming out tomorrow then.

As for joining the pipes together, i used a piece of copper pipe bent into a U and put a length of garden hose over it. Then just joined it up and with jubilee clips.

Same thing happened to me 2 weeks ago :( My engine temp's been dodgy for months and after i bypassed the matrix the engine temp was running the best its ever been :) guess i found the overheating culprit so its not all bad.

Yesterday my heater matrix sprung a big leak and stared leaking coolent into the footwells. For the moment ive just bypassed the matrix by joining the two pipes together that go through the bulkhead.

How can i get to the matrix to replace it?

It doesnt look easy, do i have to take out the dash? If so how?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

I just had mine replaced under a dealer safety recall , not bad for a 16 year old car. Had to give the dealer a safety recall print out I found on the intrnet . Oh by the way this was a recall for all N.American sold C's , hopefully you can get yours done from the stealers the same way. Good Luck.

Have the same problem, I have an open safety recall on my US-Rado according to a mate of mine who works at a VW repair garage in the US, but do VW UK honour that? Noooo, they just say the recall was closed October 2002, b*stards, will have to do some shouting, i guess :roll:

Tempest

Ended up doing it myself. Wasn't too bad. Got an OE matrix for £25. Replacing the matrix itself was pretty easy. The time consuming bit was getting to it.

Took me two days to get the dash out and back in.

Thanks for all the advice folks.