Sign in to follow this  
chris g

Crunching 3rd gear

My gearbox crunches when engaging 3rd, it only does it if i'm driving flat out in second and go for third, If i dip the clutch and let the revs drop first it'll go in no problem.

Its also fine for normal driving, no problems at all

Any ideas?

Chris

I'd be looking at the gearbox oil level. I can recommend eplacement with Redline oil if it's never been done. It sounds like the syncromesh may be going/gone onb 3rd.

Redline was a night and day improvement on my syncro, although 1st to 2nd is still crunchy if you try and change too quickly. This is a bit of an issue with syncro boxes anyway though.

It could also be the clutch dragging but if other changes are ok I'd look elsewhere first. There is also the front engine mount as well, which may hamper smooth shifts if it's fcuked.

Gavin

me too... I've wrote my box off tho, not going to bother with oil change :lol: I'm going for a mk3 2l 16v box for my g60. Would advise you to do the same if you have a G and need a replacement.

Same as mine when I first got it, after a GB oil change, shifter cables re-alligned and new mounts everything is fine now!