Sign in to follow this  
steveo29

brake pedal goes to floor after fitting mk4 calipers

ive just got done fitting mk4 calipers, a few hoses and pipes etc..i used an easy bleed to bleed the brakes and the handbrake works good

trouble is the pedal goes almost to the floor before it works..not spongy though

could i have damaged the master cly?? or just traped air...shoul i have pre filled the calipers

Did you have the back of the car jacked up when you bled the rears? If so the proportioning valve could have caused them to not bleed right.

Did you bleed the master cylinder as well?

i pushed the valve across while it bled

no i never bled the mc do they all have nipples???? and do i bleed that first

I dont know if they all have them, mine did, '95 vr6. Im sure phatvr6 mentioned his doesnt have them though, originally a 2.0 8v.

If it does bleed it last.

steveo29, i had the same problem when i fitted mk4 calipers to my VR the pedal would be firm when the car was off start it up and it nearly touched the floor, i bled the whole system 3 times, the master cylinder, the abs pump and even the clutch slave. The pedal feels a bit better and the car stops fine, but ive decided that when i come across a bargain g60 im gonna get the whole braking system transfered on to mine and scrap the abs malark

okay ive just bled another ltr of fluid through it..still low pedal, a quick test drive revealed the brakes are a bit poor too, although not really spongey

anyone else have probs with them

i trust im right in having the nipple at the top?

should i try bleeding em unblted from the carrier?

getting fed up now

Steve - if the brakes are not realy spongey, then the pads have not bedded in properly. My car does the same, even although you've only removed and refitted the same pads, they don't go right back into place.

Take it for a drive, and while your driving dab the brakes every 100m or so, they'll soon bed in. Probably better when no-ones behind you though!

thanks for the reply , but im not convinced its that. i have test driven it and theres no change, i cant see the pads would make a low pedal

cant think what to do next

Steve, if you pump the pedal, do you get a 'high' pedal?

Its a corrado, 'seeing how the pads would make a low pedal' they are different!!!

Honestly, the last time I replaced some rear brake pipe, there was travel (about 3 quarters pedal) on the pedal, but after a couple of days it goes back to being solid. I know it doesn't make sense, but been there before - it is a quirk

I gather you have bled the complete system then (you didn't say so)?

no, pumping doesnt make it higher/normal...ive bled the whole car 3 times on a easybleed with the axle valve held open

i bled it the order furthest from m/c to closest, is that right

Honestly, the last time I replaced some rear brake pipe, there was travel (about 3 quarters pedal) on the pedal, but after a couple of days it goes back to being solid. I know it doesn't make sense, but been there before - it is a quirk

Mine was the exact same, though each time I did try bleeding the master cylinder a few times and kept getting a bit more air out each time.

no, pumping doesnt make it higher/normal...ive bled the whole car 3 times on a easybleed with the axle valve held open

i bled it the order furthest from m/c to closest, is that right

Yep that's correct. When carrying out major work on the brakes I open up the bleed nipple a full turn and put my finger lightly over the nipple (to let air out and stop dirt getting in) and get my mate to pump the pedal about 10 times - refill the reservoir. I keep doing that until most of the air is out. I'm not sure about easibleed kits for the 1st bleed stage, I think there is too much resistance on the 1 way valve. After the 1st stage use the easibleed.

Also check out Phats problem :D :D

http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23884

Theres an article in this months golf+ about this and its all to do with the thickness of pads from what i can remember you need late G2 or early G3 pads, the discription tells you how to do it and exactly what you need

I was comparing both sets of pads at the weekend and the mrk iv ones are way thicker that the original rears on the corrado.

Has anyone fitted the mrk iv brakes without this problem? Where would I get a set of these G2/G3 pads?

Yep, you can't use the mk4 pads without sading them as the mk4's had 9mm disks....

Just get Standard or MK3 rear pads from GSF...

I just measured the pads I bought they are 2mm thick I’m guessing the mrk 3 rear pads are the same? they have the smae model nos in GSF?