Sign in to follow this  
jenks

Lowering advice 4a passat

Hey just bought a 92 2.0litre Passat Estate,

Got coilovers for the corrado now so will my 55mm lowering kit off my 16v Corrado go on?

Not looked yet cos not got car but does any1 know if mk2 golf/corrado suspension is the same?

Hmmm, not sure if the Corrado suspension will work - the rear should at least fit cos it's the same, but the spring rates will be all wrong due to the cars being different weights... IIRC the Corrado uses Golf II front suspension, so not sure if it's the same as the Passat...

Sorry, just realised I've told you very little! :oops:

:lol: Its cool mate cos thats exactly what went through my mind, just wanted to check!

im positive the passat subframe is the same as a mk2/corrado but wishbones are a bit wider, so i think it mite work?

yeah being an estate it mite be different spring rates,loads,etc but heavest itl be is a pair of mountain bikes or an engine.

Yes be carefull with altering spring and damper rates and also ride heights; you can totally mess up the operation of the rear brake regulator valve. A Passat Estate has a very much greater rear overhang than a Corrado and a higher potential rear axle load as a result of this and its being a heavier anyway. Once one of those baby's gets it into its head that the back is going faster than the front, especially when braking downhill, you need to be quick to catch it. ("The Voice of Experience" has spoken).

Strictly speaking, you need to tell your insurer that you have altered the suspension.

Best wishes

RB

I didn't lower it, but it is a bit stiffer than usual 4 cyl. Passats being a 16V GT ('94, LHD supplied im Germany, same suspension as VR6), and the back can get a bit wayward in the downhill/braking/heavily loaded scenario.

Best wishes

RB