Sign in to follow this  
Timo.

Advanced timing G60

Its a question for anyone who's got rather aggresive timing on their G60.

I finally checked the timing on my Dad's G60. We've only had the thing nearly a year. I knew for the previous owner that it was set a little more aggresive than standard.

Anyway, in checking through the peep hole at the flywheel I could not see the mark at all. So I un did the dizzy base at turn until I could see it. (AT 2500, with temp sensor disconnected it should bang in the middle, right?)

So I guessing it was quite ahead of standard.

I was just wondering, those who have it a few degrees more advanced if you can still see the mark? I just wondered how advanced the timing had be set.

The car seems to be a bit smoother and the idle is now spot on and its still going like a train :lol:

CHeers, sorry for the warble on

Simon

Just did the timing on mine today, and yes, I too, despite having used a timing light with adjustable advance setting couldn't find the timing mark (even though I painted a nice bright white :lol:). By turning the dizzy, i then found it, noticed a higher idle, which I corrected by closing the idle screw again, then took the Rado out for a good spin, and well chuffed with the result. Left the timing set to 6° BTDC, though.

More aggressive timing settings will be counterbalanced by the ECU, which retards the timing depending on the knock sensor signal and, of course what fuel you use.

Tempest

Yeh, I was thinking having it set at 6 degrees BTDC was the safe option. I certainly hasn't made it any slower or not that I can notice.

I'm just wondering how may degrees it takes to hide the timing mark out of site!? Just out of curiousity.

T.

just wondering how may degrees it takes to hide the timing mark out of site!?

Only a few, can't remember I how many degrees each tooth on the flywheel represents.

Tempest