Sign in to follow this  
RS VR6

Kind of confused

When you guys say BHP, do you mean at the engine?

In the states, we ususally measure at the wheels.

Some of the numbers seem high. Are they corrected numbers to the engine?

When most people quote bhp figures, they are referring to the engine, rather than at the wheels. For example, the VR is 190 as per VW.

I'm sure some of the techies (not trekkies) will be along to explain it in far too much detail very shortly.

People in the UK and most of Europe measure BHP at the flywheel and then power at the wheels (WHP which is what everyone in the states quotes) is calculated from that,

More technical explanation soon,

Cheers

yes most people over here quote flywheel figures, i personally hate it, because if your car isn't putting it on the road then the only thing a flywheel figure is good for is bragging.

i don't really trust flywheel figures. at least with @ wheels figure the dyno has interpreted what was put on its rollers (1 calculation) where as to get the flywheel figure it all gets very confusing, frictional losses from the transmission, tyre losses and all sorts are taken into account. if you ask me its just an educated guess.

Its confusing, because people on this board are quoting flywheel number and the people from the states are quoting the numbers at the wheels.

So sometimes we're talking completely different numbers.

I normally only ever state WHP when I mention my BHP figures as that's the only completely accurate and measurable figure a rolling road can give you... any flywheel figure has got some margin of error in it where the calculation for drag etc is measured/worked out... WHP is what the tyres actually put into the rollers so is much more accurate IMHO...

Most people will give the (calculated) flywheel figures 'cos they look more impressive being bigger... :roll:

It's all a numbers game.

Car manufacturers use fly figures to sell their cars and a certain 3 letter tuning company uses very creative fly figures to sell their tuning products.

People will believe what they will.

I use my senses to determine if a car is powerful or not.

I think the equation to arrive at both differs. We tend to see higher dyno and drag racing numbers here for some reason. Even with our swill fuel.