Sign in to follow this  
raypau

Buyers guide

Hello,

I'm looking to buy a VR6 and have come across a couple, but have no real clue what to look for when buying. Can anyone give me some hints?

Ray

PM me and I'll send you a list I created before I bought mine .... quite a few common things to look out for.... if you do a search on the forum you'll also find plenty of tips....

This is by no means a comprehensive list but it will no doubt be added to

Sunroof - they all break eventually but can be repaired without too much drama. Check slide is smooth and no evidence of judder on closure. Scratches in the paint are sometimes a sign of trouble

Bodywork - check usual places for rust and evidence of wrinkling of paintwork post crashing. Good thing to check is sticker in boot adjacent to boot catch - if not present then may have had rear ender

Tyres - alignment issues will cause abnormal tyre wear. Difficult to assess if new tyres just be put on

Aerial - check you can tune into MW/LW - if not then amplifier in base of aerial may need replacing.

Engine - VR's rattle on start up and can use upto 1l/1000miles of oil so don't let this put you off. However, regular oil changes (recommended between normal servicing) are vital. Signs of expensive things are smoking exhaust - valves etc., rattle when warm - cam followers, timing chain. Best to get someone who knows what a good VR sounds like to listen.

Don't worry about high milers if well maintained there are some mint examples with well over 150,000 on the clock on this forum.

Don't worry about early versus late - its mainly cosmetic and I personally find the early style more attractive

Do get an HPI check

Good luck and don't worry if you do get a baddun by mistake as the support on this forum will get you through most issues via the least wallet emptying route and you will probably have quite good fun doing it

Remember this is a high performance 150mph sportscar - most tend to break at some point :(

Rob

VR6 132,000 miles 1992 K-plate (slightly less duff than when I bought it)

On top of that watch the syncho on gearboxes... specifically crunching when changing from 3rd to 2nd..... and from 1st to 2nd gear especially on pre 1993 models.... as in 93 they strengthened the syncho using a different metal.........

Door handles break.... easy to change but about £60 a piece....

Check for paint stickers on inside drivers front wing (orange) and looking down inside boot (white)....

Check top mounts of VRs.... also front suspension and brakes as they get hard time due to weight of engine.... check rear brakes arent rusty....

Check front engine mount as they fail leaving dents in bonnet....

Check spoiler works ..... 8)

Check front splitter as on pre 1993 models they can get a bit of a bashing over speed bumps, etc which can result in the front panel being bent, etc....

Should keep you busy *:)