Sign in to follow this  
Bournemouth James

16v g60 conversion

The reason why i ask is because i've been looking for a good (black) g60 for a while and i'm expecting to pay around 3k and then spending around a grand on the engine (rebuild, chip, pulley)

So that makes a total of around 4k

So would it be cheaper to supercharge my 16v instead

it would proberly cost about the same amount to mod the 16v to around 300bhp and it would be lots of fun too remember you would need to upgrade brakes etc too...

Darren, is that the sort of power you could expect from a 16v G60 then?

or is that with mods after the conversion as well?

sorry i was not talking about doing a g6016v for that you need to speak to 16vg60 he is the person to help you there ..... i was talking about turboing the 16v..

The sort of figure it costs to produce a 16V G60 engine is not for the faint hearted. For the engine alone exclusive of labour, installation and rolling road tuning you are into £4000 easily. Still interested?

IMO you'd be better off doing a 20v transplant. Use a TT225 lump, cable change box, DTA management, Rallye or Golf G60 intercooler and a few other bits n pieces and you'll be looking at 250-280bhp and should be able to do it for about £4k I reckon?.....

My mate has done it to his Corrado, and it was good enough to win its class-sprint on both days at Inters!!

HTH

IMO you'd be better off doing a 20v transplant. Use a TT225 lump, cable change box, DTA management, Rallye or Golf G60 intercooler and a few other bits n pieces and you'll be looking at 250-280bhp and should be able to do it for about £4k I reckon?.....

My mate has done it to his Corrado, and it was good enough to win its class-sprint on both days at Inters!!

HTH

vey true all of above.....but..! for those who dont want to go down the 20vt route and want to retain the g-lader the x-flow g60 is proberly the best way to do this..

i agree with you if you want balls out power the 20vt is the way to go but guy remember why you brought the g60's in the first place "you just cant beat the induction from that g-lader ehh! & nearly no lag either :lol: :lol: "

Top marks to Darren my thoughts entirely! In a VW world stuffed with 20VT engines in every consievable model and derrivative it's nice to be a little different but most of all the Corrado is famed for it's G60 powerplant and the unique sound which it creates. Take a ride in a 16VG60 powered car and then i think you will see the point we are making.

Top marks to Darren my thoughts entirely! In a VW world stuffed with 20VT engines in every consievable model and derrivative it's nice to be a little different but most of all the Corrado is famed for it's G60 powerplant and the unique sound which it creates. Take a ride in a 16VG60 powered car and then i think you will see the point we are making.

as tweakable as the 1.8 20v T is ......they are getting a bit too common

also had a wee spin in jill_g60's b/f's Golf limited and was well impressed with 16v g-lader power

Quote:

Does anyone know how much it would cost to supercharge a 16v?

And what would be the advantages over a normal g60?

Looks like it's someone who wants to supercharge his standard 16V engine. If so these are the parts he would require to source / build engine:

G60 G-Lader Supercharger

G60 G-Lader mounting brackets and belt tensioner complete

G-Lader outlet or RSR outlet

G60 Serpentine / idler pulleys for water pump and alternator

G60 water pump pulley

G60 Throttle body, complete

G60 Fuel Injectors and FPR

G60 Idle stabilizer valve (ISV)

G60 Digifant1 ECU and engine wire harness

G60 Digifant control relay

G60 Oxygen sensor

G60 Water temperature sensor (blue)

G60 CO% potentiometer

G60 Relays, fuel pump

G60 Intercooler hoses to and from the G-Lader

G60 Lower water pump pipe

Upper and lower coolant hoses

G60 Radiator and fan assembly

Also you would require to use a thicker copper head gasket to achieve a lower compression ratio for use with the boost, but this isn't the most efficient option. Better idea would be to use custom forged pistons (£500-£650) with the correct compression ratio. So now you have an idea about where the costs are involved. BTW this is information I have gathered from websites and is by no means complete or necessarily fully correct and I am by no means an expert just an amatuer who likes to read up on things.., :shock:

Cheers

SCOTCORRADOG60

BTW people,

I reckon it would be cheaper to use the 8V G60 engine as base for this conversion. But THE MAIN MAN for advice and information regarding this conversion would be John (A.K.A 16VG60) -see previous posts

My advice would be to contact him directly to get the most helpful, and most complete up to date information on this conversion

SCOTCORRADOG60

there are 2 ways to do it. 1 cheap (unstable engine) you hahe a kr engine and put 2 gaskets on it; and keep original pistons, you look for home made parts,etc... wil give power. but you wo'nt do much miles. cost. around 200-2500€ (i'm from belgium)

2 the expesive way. (long life) you could build a 16vg60 with the basic engine from the kr; but the pistons and rods from an audi S2. (you only need 4 of the 5) :) you fit a metal G60 gasket. and the block is ready. for real safety. you better let the engine balanced... Than you schould come on the standard 210/220ps. with a relyeble engine... now you can get tuning started. reworked G. with small pulley. real hardcore is 60mm. :) and head P&P original kr cams do great on 16vg60. so only changed whan you want to go hardcore racing... when everything is done right. with flowed G-lader. wit 68mm pulley, and ported and polished head. you easy get 240/250ps. without pushing the engine tot the limit.. with small pulley, cams en bigger valves. you could get JD engineering power of 330+ps. but this is what i call hardcore. and stupid to tune a 16v g60 for this kind of money... put the same money in a S 3 Engine. and you get 400+ps. jd style....

Parts that are hard to find (for a god price) are;

rod's and pistons. i sell them 1000€ cheaper then the dealers here...

Rocco intake manifold.

G-lader

You better put in or golf g60 (non airco) or rallye intercooler.. they are expensive...

and a good read good price conversion kit....

If u need parts. i know the way to them. :) cheaper as the shops. but they are still expensive....

as wrote before. you also need bigger brakes to stop the power. my favorite option the brembo's with 305x28 disks. stopping great.

and you need also or a g60 gearbox. or a tdi gearbox. 16V is way to short for this kind of power....

also think about the suspension..

After all you would not build a great car, with a great engine. to crash it the first time you drive around the corner...

need more info contact me.

16VG60,

hello,

lee told me to contact you on how to properly run the cogged belt setup on a 16v g60 running an mk3 alt under the charger.

please let me know what pitch your toothed pullies are

any pics of your setup? my email address is mailto:[email protected]

thanks

david mendes