Sign in to follow this  
Whitedog

Best Budget Sports Suspension

Hi all

As i dont really know too much on this subject i thought i'd cast my line into your vast pool of knowledge.

Pretty soon i'm going to be uprating my suspension cause at the moment its just riding on lowered springs (approx -40mm) on standard shocks and the ride quality is a little scary to say the least.

I will have between £200-£250 to spend so whats the best kit i can get for this. Preferably want brand new as opposed to second hand, unless very low mileage has been done on them, and i thought it best just to get new springs with the shocks.

At the moment i like the height at the rear but the front is sitting a bit lower, would like to even it up all round as the rears.

Cheers for all your help

Stu

If you could stretch it to £320 u can get the Koni Sports Suspension Kit. That is a decent kit for the money.

Unfortunately just a bit out my price range.

Do GSF or ECP do any sports suspension kits..? Are they any good..?

I know there are kits out there for this price, was just wanting some members reviews on any kits that they have fitted in this price range.

Cheers folks

Stu

Are you doing this for looks or handling? If the latter....double your budget. I'm sorry but £200-£250 is not going to get you anything good.

I'd save up for a bit longer for something you'd be happier with imo...

Agreed, if you're going to spend £250 on suspension, you'd be better spending a bit more to get something decent than wasting £250 on something substandard.

A £70 upgrade from budget suspension to Koni is well worth it.

As this is my daily driver and is never likely to be shown or used as a track car i am not after track car handling.

I want it to lower the car approx 40mm, improve handling for times when i want to give it some and improve the ride quality i.e. comfort for when i'm driving around normally.

As this is what i'm after would my budget not beable to get something to suit this or would i have to spend the £330 ish for a better kit.

Cheers for all your advice.

Stu

I don't think you can fault Weitec for the money at all. I had their TA kit on my Corrado and swapped it onto my Golf. It survived 4 years and many a trackday.

I have the non-adjustable kit on my MK3 which is far superior to the Eibach spring/Bilstein shocks that I took off.

Gavin

I'm just about to fit the Weitec kit to mine tomorrow, I'll let you know if you want. Although I did get the comfort kit from C&R which has VR6 mounts, different bump stops etc.. so the lot came to £350 or there abouts.

From what I've heard about them, they are a good buy for the money - but have heard better things about the Konis. Hey ho.

I'll stick my neck out here, have you heard anyone complain about weitec kits? I don't recall hearing anything, same can be said about Koni but they are just a big name player. The Weitec kits, as are most car related things in Germany, are TUV approved, which you could equate to British Standards. The stuff is well made and lasts well too.

Gavin

Cheers Gavin, dont get me wrong, i'd love to spend £500/£600 on some coilovers but i'm one of the few that seems to not have a never ending supply of cash (bloody wedding).

Plus i am not asking that much of them, sure a set for my budget would suffice for my needs.

Just spoke to C&R, the Weitec Ultra Gt kit 40mm drop is £245 all in. Sounds good to me.

Anyone else running this kit care to let me know what they think?

Cheers all

Stu

Its a good kit for the money,

had them on my MK1 - top adjustables, the ride was just right and the stance was sweet.

D.

Oh yeah, I forgot about my MK1. Had a TA kit on there too. More hefty track action.

You won't be disappointed

Gavin

I'll stick my neck out here, have you heard anyone complain about weitec kits? I don't recall hearing anything, same can be said about Koni but they are just a big name player.

I've complained about Koni many times.... I've had the front dampers replaced under warranty on my VR, wait for it, 3 times in 18 months!

The final pair seem OK....finally!

I also had two warranty replacements when I had MK2 Golfs aswell.

I still love them though. I just got all the bad dampers from the "Reserved For KevHaywire" batch :D

Have been out in a MK2 that had a budget Weitec in it and it felt too crashy to me. The higher end weitecs are better though.

I have a weitec GT kit on my 95 VR with Mk4 bumpstops. It is a bit too low for the local humps but I can live with that. It is quite hard though and I agree crashy - think it depends what you want and what your expectations are. ChrisP has driven my car too - I think his car has Konis so may be a good person to compare the two??? In general I am happy - but I have heard such great things about Koni TAs and H&Rs. Grass is always greener !