Sign in to follow this  
fire&iceG60

removing ABS

hi i have abs on my mk2 g60 and it has never worked so instead off paying alot off money to fix it. i wanted toremove it, also tidy up the bay. does anyone no what this involves. i have been told i need new brake lines, but not to sure about the master cylinder because the abs looks like it is fixed to it. i am not sure if this is the same on corrados. but any help wil be great cheers. :D

iirc one brake line comes from the master cylinder on my car (with ABS) to the ABS control box, which splits it into 4 outputs to each of the corners. If you wanted to get rid of your ABS you would need to replace all the brake lines so that they would come up to the master cylinder, and change the master cylinder.

Have you actually had VAG-COM on your abs to see the problem? It might not be that expensive to fix - all of the parts that are hugely expensive new are pretty redily available second hand. Sensors etc are about £40.

To get a garage to replace a the solid lines could cost a fair bit more.

it would be cheaper to repair it, unless the main pump has gone, I have a pressure switch here for a VW ABS pump (its brand new and still sealed in plastic) which you can buy if needed.

fire&iceG60, is your G60 golf a genuine left hand drive import, or did it start life as a normal RHD golf and get G60'd afterwards?

Reason I ask is that G60 Golfs don't have a servo, they use the ABS pump to do the same function... :| It IS possible to remove the ABS pump on a LHD golf, but you'd need a new master cylinder, servo and pipework to the 4 corners of the car to do it...

Have a word with G-man as I'm pretty certain he did this to Gav's old Golf G60... ;)

yeah, in that case you need the LHD servo/mastercylinder and a few other bits too...

Not mega expensive or difficult to do, but you need to know which bits you need BEFORE you start as you will have no brakes while doing the removal! ;) :lol:

corrado parts fit also you just need to elongate 2 of the mounting holes slightly at the stud pattern on the manual servo's are slightly differant to the abs pump.. this is a bg job to completley remove as u need to strip the interior of the car to remove the 10kgs of surplus loom that runs right down the middle.. we then as mentioned above ran a line to both fronts and then a another line to the rear which split just infront of the tank through a tilton bias valve.

Why remove it without finding out what’s wrong with it first? Its probably just a wheel speed sensor. I'm proud of having ABS on my Golf G60, excuse me if I'm wrong but aren’t the Golf G60's the only mk2 to have ABS fitted to them. Its also one of the main benefits having an original LHD G60 over a conversion job. Its sacrilege to remove it, the system is also supposed to work as an electronic differential to reduce wheel spin according to VW sales documents.

Anyway if you do remove it good luck and I'll have a ABS sensor off you to replace the one that’s dodgy on my ABS. :-) :-) :lol:

not all of em have the diff lock function ..mine hasnt

mine has played up twice..once a rear wheel sensor diagnosed with a multimeter and fixed for £45

2nd time the pump failed and that was £90 used , and not that hard to fit