Sign in to follow this  
randal

KR Gearbox Information/Alternatives?

I've been trying to read into this a little more, and so far haven't turned up a lot. Just wondering if anyone could answer the following please?

Are the early/late - KR/9A gearboxes the same? What code(s) are they if they're different?

Are there any alternatives to the KR gb?

Roughly what power is the KR gb good for?

Thanks in advance :D

I think the 02A has been the same since the C was born....only the ratios change between 8V/16V/G60 & VR but the main case is the same.

If you're thinking of playing with your box, fit a quaife and lower the overall ratios with a lower FD :D

Stealth put over 400bhp through an 02A (albiet with Gemini toughened gears!) box it handled it fine.... standard gears are good for around 300 I suppose...but the diff pins are the weakest link....they need replacing with bolts if big power is being put through the box.

Ah, it is the 02A... Cool, thanks for clearing that up. I was toying with sourcing a recon, or sourcing a low milage one from a scrappy. Mine is 'orrible and notchy, and just downright worn. Have done all the usuals with oil changes, slave cyls etc.. and it's still 'orrible.

To be honest with you, the conecpt of opening up a gearbox terrifies me and sounds faaar too expensive a job to attempt with no experience.

I'm sure corradowales will be along soon enough to juice your gaping double entendre up there soon too :lol:

Cheers

I could be wrong, but really early 16V Cs *might* have had the 020 solid shifter box....but to be sure, look on top of your box (LOL!) for the two cables and a counterweight. If they're there, then it's an 02A.

Mine's going in for a rebuild on 20th June....but only because I want a quaife. Thought is unwise not to rebuild the box whilst it's off! Stealth rebuilt boxes are very snickety snick through the gears....he does a grand job and the only thing terrifying about boxes is setting the diff bearing preloads....get those wrong and the bearings will die in about 100 miles, LOL!

I'm going to disappear into the car park to give my box a good looking over, I think I might have to have a poke around in the darker regions of said box as I'm not sure what I'm looking for.

/double entendre mode off

I think I've got the cable change box, there are 2 gatored connections going into a box on't gb... Wouldn't surprise me though, it's an oldie for sure.

What does the bearing preload do/how is it set? I'm guessing the with a special VW tool that costs shedloads..!

Not entirely sure what the bearing preload is for but I do know it's critical!

The only expensive tool you need for that is an accurate torque guage.

Defo one for the experts! Thanks for the information, I shall scour ze web for a valver's box.

C'mon corradowales I dares ya! :lol:

Defo one for the experts! Thanks for the information, I shall scour ze web for a valver's box.

C'mon corradowales I dares ya! :lol:

I've heard that the mk3 Golf ABF 2.016v box is the best for the 16v engine, better ratios than the Corrado boxes, possibly better suited to a 2.0 than a 1.8, only thing is they tend to be more expensive.

David.

I heard the 2.0 8V box is a nice short shifter for the 1.8 16V. I’ve seen good results on a mrk 2 16V with the G60 box, there’s a nice low end punch, it goes a bit flat over the 110 mark but sure its not wise to be pushing over 110 to often anyhow.

The 1.8 8V mrk 2 gti box is another alternative as would the 8V mrk 3 Gti box.

So maybe altering the final drive in a 2.0 8V is the way to go? I've heard that the ratios on the G60 box are all wrong for the 16V... :?

I've always found the 16V ratios to be well judged personally....it needs short ratios to make better use of it's narrow torque band.

I think you'd feel a lot better if your box was fondled mate.....by Vince :D

Seriously tho, a rebuilt gearbox transforms the way the car drives....you no longer have to dread or think about changing gears and it's a good oppurtunity to do some meddling while it's off.

Just to confirm ALL corrados were cable shift when they left the factory... 8)