Sign in to follow this  
TurbTechnicssMK1

Car stutters and cuts out occasionally

Hi Guys - hoping you can help. My Bro has a 2ltr 16v Corrado and it devloped a problem wher it would start but sound like it was running weak and would sut out and then start but be misfiring and only just run. He's changed so far: the leads, plugs, lambda (twice), meteirng head (twice), the WUR unit on side of meteringhead, the lift pump so far.

Now when the wetaher is dry the car runs as sweet as a nut, but as soon as it rains it starts misisng and cutting out. Wondered if anyone else has had this type of problem or if anyone has any ideas of what else to try.

He's at his wits end with the car, so any help is appreciated :)

thanks in advance all :)

Wouldn't be the cat converter starting to balls up would it? (just a guess... my mates car started conking out and running weak same as you described and was his cat converter)

Think might have find and fixed the problem. Par tof the wiring loom was routed under the qir box on the chassis rail which happens to fill wiht water when it rains. The wires outer covering was chaffed off, so think it might have been shorting the wires when it rains. Taped it all up, rerouted the wires out of the water,a and touch wood so far its been fine ..

I would put a dizzy cap and arm on that sounds like its got a crack in the cap and is letting moister in when it rains