Sign in to follow this  
A5 VRX

using water

Alright all, my 1991 1.8 16v has started to use a bit of water recently, 300ml in 360 miles, this doesn't sound much but it's quite a bit of water. is this the norm or are there evil forces at work?!!

Places to check for leaks:

Expansion tank + cap

Breather hose from expansion tank to top of rad

Oil cooler hoses - check for crystaline deposits

And the one my money is on: The metal "L" shaped clamps that hold the rad in place. Known to rust, and when they do they also rust through the rad! Cost me a new rad, but coated the "L"s in copper ease so shouldn't happen again.

Hopefully it's something simple like one of the above, and not something more severe with your engine... :|

(So good they posted it twice...)

Loss of water isn't normal. In my opinion a noticeable drop in water level between services means something is not right. The degree of problem obviously dictates whether it's worth chasing yet or not...

But then if you've a marginal case, you might find your case suddenly becomes major one day when you need the car.. very annoying!

with dr_mat here... the VAG coolant system is designed to be pressurised and therefore CANNOT have any leaks if it is to run at it's maximum efficiency... If you're loosing water, you have a leak which NEEDS to be sorted out.

There's a sticky thread around here somewhere which has a list of just about all of the common leak points on Corrado engines... 8) TRY HERE