Sign in to follow this  
G60Jet

Oil windage tray

The G60s have them but they are not that nice. They are plastic and clip on to the Oil pump's pick up tube. The G60's plastic one does have baffles built into it to aid in keeping oil near the pick up tube while cornering. I know a few people that rebuilt their G60 motors with this metal windage tray and they had a difficult time with the bolt's length. I think if I used this windage tray I would want an oil pan with baffles in it. This is one of those areas that I have no problems with right now so I'm content but I tell you this the plastic is brittle after 12-13years of heat cycles

The G60 is not fitted with a windage tray as standard kit. The plastic attatchment on the pick up tube on the oil pump is a basic baffle to keep oil around this area. Under "normal" driving conditions this should suffice. Prolonged high speed cornering however would require a purpose built baffled sump. The windage tray shown is a standard VW part and is a easily fitted component with the standard sump bolts. Extended bolts are not required as the windage tray also incorporates the sump gasket. The tray greatly improves crank operation and i would reccomend it's use in any performance engine.

16vg60....you say these greatly improve crank operation.....is this something one should notice....i can see the mechanical advantage,but i didnt find any differance

You will not be likely to percieve any difference in performance. The improvement i reffer to is in oil control and the reduction of frictional losses on the crank operation.

Where can you get these windage trays from?

It a VW part apparently but you can get them here for $40 plus postage.

http://www.parts4vws.com/catalog/product_detail.aspPartNumber=037115220B

Im gonna upgrade my oil pump and add that, just as soon as i find out which pil pump to use, there is one off a newer vw that a direct swap and give better oil pressure apparently.

I have installed this windage tray minus the original black plastic baffle as it would not fit with the windage tray 037 115 220 B

Is this ok, or do I need the black original plastic baffle as someone said it aids side movement in oil pan for the oil pickup ?

No loctite needed and 20Nm is spot-on - just put a layer of oil round the gasket / windage tray to help it seal...

When I did mine I dropped the oil pump to take of the old tray but i think they can just be broken off - I assume the windage tray can then be slid on but if it doesn't go over the pump pickup then just drop the pump down - only 2 bolts...

I wrote this that should help...

http://www.the-corrado.net/wiki/index.p ... &rcid=1039

Got one of these from darren at g-werks for about £30, very good quality haven`t got around to fitting it yet. Think i will take it to a garage to get them to fit it, done a sump on a scirocco before and the 2 bolts on the gearbox end are a complete pain in the arse to do :-( :mad:

Ian

Well finally got around to taking my car to the garage to fit the new sump & windage tray, dropped the car off ar 9am, walked the 2miles home. Got home went to bed ( I work nights) then at 11:30am the garages rings me up to say the had to order another sump gasket because the one i supplied is from a diesel. :-( I must of told them 10 times that it would fit but no they know best, then they ask me where the locking wheel nut is! (also was having the rear caliper changed) told them in the glovebox....NO ITS NOT! another 10times i told them it was there! anyhow managed to borrow my mum`s car drove up there, had to show them now to fit the gasket and then went into the glovebox and got the locking wheel nut out for them!!! :mad:

Honestly, got 4 garages within 2miles of where i live and there all fecking useless!!!!

What annoyed me the most was that i left the how-to guide on how to change the sump and fit a windage tray in the new sump when i dropped it off, and the guy only read the bit that said get a windage tray for a mk3 diesel !

Got it back now, charged me £120 just for labour, DON`T THINK I`LL BE GOING THERE AGAIN!!

Oh and they had a good old play with my stereo aswell, should of checked the mileage when i dropped it off...probably thrashed it up and down the road!

RANT OVER :lol:

Ian

I personally think the guide is excellent.

Will I run into trouble if I forgot to pre-oil the windage tray's gasket ?

The sumps already on with all the bolts. :roll:

Nah you'll be ok as long as it's seated well and the bolts are correctly torque'd... Just fill her up and run up to temp on the drive and check for leaks...

My guide wasn't much use then... :lol:

Yeah it was good for me, made him feel a complete tw@t when i said look it says you have to remove the oil pump to fit the tray, D`oh! Dim Bar :lol:

Thanks

Ian