Sign in to follow this  
PhatVR6

A VERY dissappointing day at the drag strip.....

Having had the car on the road nearly a month now, I was beginning to get bored with it, and starting to think it was a bit slow. so I decided to take it to York dragway yesterday and have a go to get some real times on it.

Previoulsy, with the 2.9 in it, I managed a best of 14.444 @94mph. so I was hoping it'd be a bit quicker than that.

Give it some off the line, only to be told by my mate watching that the fronts wheels just lit up and the rear wheels seemed to be doing nothing, so that means the syncro system is utter crap for drag launches, but that's what I was expecting anyway.

Got hammered by a WRX, went back round to get my timing slip.

now, I haven't sprinted since last September or so, so I was mightily impressed with my 0.555 reaction time, 60' foot time was poor, at 2.2 (I've hit a 2.034 before) but the biggest shock was the 1/4 mile ET.....

15.5 @88mph

now I knowit felt slow, but not THAT slow!! that's worse than a stock golf vr6!!!

had 3 more goes, best time managed was a 15.4.

gutted

so, it's clearly not happy running on the 2,8 ECU, and I bet it's only putting out about 180 bhp tops.

need to find a way around the immobilser on the r32 ECU so I can use it. until then, I never want to drive it again.

I#m THIS far away from selling it or breaking it, I truly hate the thing. I'm having a full week away from it all in the Isle of Man on my new bike next week, so hopefully I'll come back refreshed and ready to tackle it. If not, it's going to have to go.

Stick with it Paul. I totally agree about the 4WD, not built for drag racing at all. My mates rallye used to light its front wheels up something cronic.

What 2.8 ECU are you running it on? A MK3 one?

Having seen how many little bits and pieces there are all over the place on the MK4 loom for the engine I would try and install everything from a MK4 if you can. Its a sh1t load of work, but means everything is where it should be and can be checked to make sure its all working properly.

You have pointed out the problems yourself, so you know whats wrong and know it will run better so just keep on it mate.

Jay

So your gonna be abother of the 2 wheel nutter brigade over here huh? Well if you see a blue g60 when your over here give me a wave! ;)

By the way, spent all afternoon/night yesterday in bushys beer tent for the opening day which was fun! but wasnt so good this morning! :(

Keep with it Paul, I bet once you get the ECU sorted you'll love that car, I driven an R32 with the AMD stage 3, 300bhp I think and thats fun! Yours has the potential to be like that, if not better so stick with it. Can't tell you how many times I have said, sod it I'm selling up!! lol