Sign in to follow this  
wcrado

removing the side mouldings

just wanted some advice on how easy it is to remove the side rubbing strips. i know this is quite a common mod but wasn't sure if they were glued on or used clips etc. are they relatively easy to remove or is it a load of hassle, bearing in mind the paintwork as well. cheers

I don't get it. I had a door resprayed after someone keyed it and the dealer hadn't got a new strip in time. They said it would be there in a few days, to take the car and they would give me a call.

1 week later still no call but a lovely dent right on the 'crease' of my new paint work. They tried to tell me the strip wouldn't have prevented it but I wasn't having it.

Made them sort the dent out and lo and behold a strip was in stock by that afternoon too!!!

There is no way I would not want them on my car. But then again she is my daily drive and has to be parked up where no doubt some of wouldn't dream of leaving yours.

That’s the exact reason I'll leave mine on too... mine only gets used at w/e's tbh but I would rather be able to leave it with out the worry of expensive doors being exposed!

I'm going to jump on the "leave em on" boat too. My recent incident on the motorway was almost certainly made a little easier by the mouldings. In fact, the rear quarter moulding has lost about 3-4 inches from the impact!

Word of warning though if you do wish to replace them with new ones from VAG. The early ones are discontinued, and the late ones are rather pricey.

Front section on the wing - 9 quid + vat

Door section - 25 quid + vat

Rear quarter - 18 quid + vat

Typical :roll: