Sign in to follow this  
BlueVR6

RPM Sensor Help!!!

Hi

Having starting problems with my VR6, I got the fuel pump changed a about a month ago which seemed to do the trick for a couple of weeks now its back to the same, were the engine has to turn over for a good 20 seconds before it starts. :mad:

After leaving it for a bit decided to put it into the garage were they put it onto the diagnostic computer and they said it was the RPM Sensor.

Has anyone else heard of this sensor, what does it do and is it likely to be this giving problems starting? :roll:

Cheers

Search for "engine speed sensor" .. it's not clear cut. Basically a non-starting VR6 will ALWAYS show this error code, regardless of whether the sensor is in fact faulty or not.

Like Dr_matt says, fault code 00513 (engine speed sensor) is not suppressed on OBD1 VW's ie. all Corrados. Garage may have seen this and determined it's the sensor. They don't fail like this usually and I'd expect to see the engine cut out intermitently at speed as well before total failure.

This may seem a bit odd but see if you can swap out the ECU Relay marked "109" part no. 357 906 381A if it is has a grey coloured cover, they tend to be unreliable due to poor quality control. Later ones have a black plastic body and are OK. It's located on the main relay/fuse panel.

Thanks for the replies.

Is relay 109 fitted in the fuse/relay box under the bonnet or under the dash?

Cheers