Sign in to follow this  
tomace

Removing glass and motors from wing mirror

Wing mirror glass and plastic mechanism that moves glass is broke.

The mirror housing has a slight crack on it but its hardly noticable.

My car is black and i got a second hand complete unit in red.

I want to change the insides so i don't have to spray the red one black.

Has anyone done this before?

How easy is it to pop out the glass without damaging any parts?

help greatly appreciated.

To pop the glass out, use a plastic ruler under the glass and carefully lever it off.

Do this starting at the bottom of the glass (in the middle) to lever the lower fixing 'pins' out, and then at the top of the glass (again in the middle) to lever the top pins out.

And no accounts try levering it from the near the sides (ie somewhere other than the middle of the top or bottom edge) or you may end up snapping the glass.

Does the electric mechanism still work? if so you can make it easier by tilting the mirror 'up' when doing the bottom edge and 'down' when doing the top.

Do it very gently and carefully, and its v. straighforward.

when you say change insides, do you mean the electric mechanism too into the new case? I'm not sure how to do this without cracking the case.. guess it must be possible somehow

I want to change the insides so i don't have to spray the red one black

Potentially have to do the same on my Rado. You can actually compress the spring holding the metal bracket inside the casing with a bolt and nut arrangement (have a look at how to wedge the bolt and nut into the spring, then using 2 spanners tighten them to compress the spring). That should allow you to swap the entire case and get that back onto your existing metal bracket and ancessories.

Tempest

the electric mech screws in with 4 screws easy to see then pull the wires out of the back plug the new one in (the terminals are labelled with the colour of the corresponding wire handily!) insert screws tighten and bobs yer uncle!!i have just done it but it still didnt work!!

I replaced my casing & mirror glass not long ago.. found myn not to work.. gave it a smack & now working fine...

Replaced both mirror glass with new items yesterday, they were corroded around the edges and the heating elements had both stopped working within a week of each other.

I found that the lack of heating was just corrosion between the heating element and the spade connector tabs (they push into a slot on the back of the mirror)

'early' model mirror glass has a different type of connector on the back which are flimsy and prone to snap, so be careful when pulling off the wires!