Sign in to follow this  
2cc

Grin Factor

Drove my nephew's new 3.2 TT manual hardtop on Monday (yes its fully run in). It was awwwwwwwesooooooommmmmmme. :D :D :D :D :D

Very impressed with the whole package, everything felt just right.

If I had £30K to spare.........maybe, just maybe.

Anyone else had the pleasure?

that handled aweful on the top gear test track - it understeered all over teh place - I suppose that was on its limits though, and I suppose understeer is safe

One of the dullest cars I've ever driven, felt very solid but very heavy and remote - great ownership proposition but definitely not a car for those who love driving - why not save 6k and buy the A3 3.2 and get more space into the bargain too

Drove an R32 a few weeks back. Sounded nice and went ok, but like you say, felt a bit sterile for want of a better word.

Steering wheel gave me the horn though, pardon the pun. Best wheel i've ever seen, about 2 inches deep and classy, shame it wont fit in a C.............

THe A3-Golf and TT share the same floor pan dont they, the tt is therefore a flat golf :lol:

However i do like the look of the stripped out version they are now selling in the dealerships, looks ace in black

Dull, heavy and remote surprises me andy. Did I get the description wrong? This is the quattro - I thought it was very light and responsive (the vr is pretty heavy after all). Granted it might understeer when you push it on the track but I was on a road.

Whatever, I still enjoyed it.

TTs just have an image problem, but underneath they are quite competent cars. It may not have the composure of more nimble cars on the 9/10ths limit, but who drives at 9/10ths on a daily basis?

I've driven a 225 roadster and it was OK. I wouldn't own one but it had tonnes of mechanical grip, loads more than the Corrado in fact. It's just let down by a numb helm and over-efficiency at what it does, so there is no 'character'.

Your Nephew didn't go for the DSG then Chris? It's reputed to be the best non-slush box auto on the planet :D

Nope (even more pennies that). Actually I have to agree that the mech grip far exceeds the C's, probably what I liked at the time as it just went calmly where I pointed it without its bottom hanging out. But yeah, the C does have a bit of character by doing that. Perhaps I should have turned the ESP off but didn't want to risk putting it through a hedge LOL

Sure they are wonderful cars, but at £30,000 i'd just never consider one.. if I was gonna plump 30k down on a car, i'd definately go into the 2nd hand market with that kind of money and look for something a few years old.. perhaps a 2 year old BMW M3 SMG or something similar. The Audi TT just wouldn't compare to that in any way! :)