Sign in to follow this  
CaiosG60 PWR

DIY G60 rebuild reveals knackered charger with pics

I've been over at SamG60's house today because his lysholm arrived! Unfortunately it wont fit yet need some more fabrication doing.

Anyway, his G-lader started making a strange noise last week. I couldn't hear it until I put a screw driver on it. But luckily he noticed it and took the car off the road. Lucky he had already decided he was getting a lysholm a few months back. So after failing to fit the lysholm we took the g-lader apart to find out what was wrong with it. It wasn’t as hard as we thought; only those woodruff keys on the central shaft were a pain in the arse.

Link to instructions we found when stuck on woodruff keys; http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=668200&page=1

Check out the pics below for the damage found

The displacer is virtualy cracked all the way around. All the red arrows point to cracked bits and there some of it left around the green arrow, but not much. Its a miracle it didnt grenade it must be within yards of going getting very messy.

Anyone got a spare displacer?? :lol: :lol: ;-)

The cracks are all the way through to!! You should feel the movement in it. I was waggling it and thought it was the bearing then cleaned it off a bit to reveal the full extent of the damage.

how can u tell when ur supercharger is on its way out ?

You can see by all the swirl marks that the charger has already been ported out!

When was the last rebuild and who by?

rebuild was by pitstop 16 months ago, 15k ago, I was told by Steve that the apex seal walls were on there way out on the scroll and this is evident when looking at it, in fact thats what I thought was going to be knocking around in the casing when I opened it, but there was no cracking then, I trust Pitstop with there rebuilds I just think I was unlucky with the cracking, thats why I have bought a Lysholm. I asked them to port it at the time but they said I would have to find a better scroll and this is the risk of Gladers, it had regular oil changes every 3k after It was rebuilt always run up to temp before being driven, but was often driven hard, it produced 15psi all the way until I opened it .

I guess its the luck of the draw, just glad it didnt grenade as at least I can rebuild it. once I find a better scroll

arent the swirl marks where the apex seals have been rubbing against the scroll and casing? :)

yeah the swirl marks are normal and a result of the oscillating action of the scroll as the apex seals run against the casing

yeah, swirl marks are from the apex seals rubbing on it.

Petrol Head G60 Cab, you can't know for sure really, just get it rebuilt regularly to reduce wear, listen to it for new noises, keep an eye on your boost pipes for excess oil and get it opened up and inspected.

Hi Darren what do you mean by 1600?

its an autorotor SR2 2087 Screw compressor.

and its the same compressor used by bahn brener, it has the followoing specs

Capable of 300+hp and over 20+ psi on small bore 1.8L-2.5L four cylinder engines. Rated at 15+k rpm continuous / 17+k rpm non continuous. .87L per revolution.

heres a link to some of the specs.

http://www.bahnbrenner.com/media/php/ca ... &catid=275

How easy is it to fit these screw chargers? is there a fair amount of custom fabrication involved like brackets and boost pipes??

yep there is quite a bit of custom fabrication to do, luckily my father in law has acces to CNC equipment and all other metal fabrication parts, as even the kit that I have aquired is going to need a fair bit of work to connect correctly to my car.

I have installed a few of the Lysholm screw chargers and yes they are not as straight forward as often described. The biggest items of issue are the oil return lines. Granted the kit has changed since I did my first install it is still not as direct swap and I think it should be. If you want feel free to visit my photo album I have started since first installing it on my friend's car http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictu ... 4292252267

hows it going samg60, CaiosG60 PWR,

not so plug and play eh??

lookng forward to the finished article!!!