Sign in to follow this  
Tekara

Temperature & Fuel Gauge Sticking

Wondering if anyone can give me some advice,the temperature gauge on my VR has started to misbehave. On several occasions from a cold start it has refused to budge from resting point. Sometimes it just suddenly jumps up to 90'c or other times a gentle tap on the plastic is required to encourage it to work. Its intermittent at the moment but i cant see it getting any better.

Any ideas what would cause the problem and how to fix ?

If its of any relevance ive recently had all the senders replaced and the ignition switch.

Should a new gauge be in order could anyone provide the part number.

*UPDATE* Fuel gauge is now sticking takes forever to settle

just to second that mine also is a bit lazy after its been parked up for a few days but a gentle tap on the glass/plastic does the trick every time!

Have either of you fitted the DDI dials. mytemp guage caught in the center after i installed them and would suddenly just up to the proper temp. All i did was make the hole in the middle slightly larger. Have either of you changed anything within the POD cluster as you may have moved the dial slightly.

Cheers

Woody

Fuel gauge has now become rather jerky, very slowly jumps up to its resting point and much the same in reverse when you turn the ignition off.

Took the cluster apart doesn't appear to be anything wrong, pod is a little wobbly in its seat but other than that looks like new.

My fuel needle went mad and went past the MAX and around to finally rest on the temp needle! Seemed to happened directly after cornering very hard. New unit was about £95.

StormVR6, Did the new unit solve your problem ? also did the unit contain both the gauges ?

I just dont understand how it could fail nothing too them

check you main earth strap on the battery and also the earth points by the fuse box. Both of the gauges you mention work on resistive senders giving different resistances compared with an earth. If that earth (or the main one) is cruddy then your gauges are gonna be a mile out and start doing all sorts of odd things...

Well, that's where I'd start anyway... ;)

Yes the new unit (fuel/temp) works fine, I haven't got a clue why the old one went mental but it did move about excessively when throwing the car around.