Sign in to follow this  
JT

quick rear wheel bearing question/advice

put my car in for it's mot today passed no problems,

but was advized that there was a small amount of play in the rear bearings (a bit more than should be)

it's a 97 golf vr highline now can these be adjusted to take up the play, and if not are they the same as the corrado vr where it comes as a complete unit rear disk the lot !!! or can i just replace rear bearings. cheers for your help.

just tighten the rear hub nut up slightly to adjust the play out of them... that's the way they're supposed to be adjusted... 8)

They ARE the same as the Corrado where the bearing runner is pressed into the disk, but you should be able to adjust it out if it was only an advise note... 8) (just done this on H-YYU after her MOT... ;) )

cheers buddy, yeah it was just an advie note so theres no rush but will get it done on the next service, i thought as much so will save up for that bill in the not too near future then.

You can just replace the bearings by removing the disks and knocking out the old ones, then pressing in the new ones in (or carefully tapping in square). Fiddly knocking the old ones out but there are cutouts to get a screwdriver or such in.

It's only a thrust washer and nut done up finger tight with a castle nut to stop it undoing. Could try removing the castle nut and nipping the other nut up I suppose and see how long it lasts.

8)

It only takes a couple of minutes per side... the hardest bit is taking the wheel off/putting it back on again! The only bits you need to replace are the 2 spilt pins which cost about 10p each! 8)

I'd advise getting it done sooner rather than later though, as you will be wearing the bearings at an accelerated rate if they're loose... :|

nice, obviously there is supposed to be some movement in them but ya reckon just giving a teak on each side will do the job then. what sort of price am i looking at if i do replace the whole lot instead of knocking the old bearings out :?:

replacement price = 2x rear bearing sets (£6.75 each) + 2x rear disks (£13.50 each)

Total: £40.50... hardly bank breaking, although you may wish to put some new pads in while you're in there which will add another £14.50 8)

All prices quoted from GSF invoice infront of me! ;)

I'm about to replace the lot 'cos I've got MKIV rear calipers now and the pads and disks looked a bit cruddy while I was in there... 8)

cheers henny, no need to worry about that little job then result :D just gonna go and tighten them now as the sun is out.

Don't tighten 'em too much! you'll only need to lightly tweak 'em to get rid of the play... any more and you'll over-heat 'em... If you're not sure, get someone who's done it before to sort it for you...

/disclaimer... ;)

change of plan anyway can be bothered just gonna chill out instead after all the sun is out 8) but only the smallest adjustment got it.

Not a big job to do, if your disks and pads are in good shape just do the bearings. Have a pot of grease handy also when fitting the new ones.

Bentley says you should tighten the nut so that you can move the washer behind it with a screw driver with out having to pry it!

I must check this as one hub did seem a bight tighter than the other when i had them back on. :scratch:

so have any of you not struggled with the caliper mounting arm bolts?? the two torx/alan head bolts from rear?? as i had to replace a rear bearing and had to heat them up to remove them as they were stuck solid! And i've still got a noise which sounds like a bearing but all others seem fine. any ideas, noise like a flat spotted tyre.

those bolts are a right pain to get out,i tried everything,from soaking the bolt in plus gas,heat,chisel,anded up smacking a slightly smaller socket on the bolt head and used brute force,on one i managed to get a small stillson onto the bolt

yeah was a nightmare, loadsa heat and smacked in a allen head instead of torx. just got em out. But now i need to do a front!!!! should be easier though.