Sign in to follow this  
Not_Aircooled_or_Taxfree

Good quality acoustic cloth

I have lovingly hand crafted a shelf for our C. In this there is a ‘Bumper’ 10" sub which may I say sounds the Doggies Boggies! However the acoustic cloth i got from the Motorist Centre has sagged! Unfortunately there is now a circular indentation in the middle of the "Stealth Shelf" kinda giving away the fact that there is a sub in the car. This has temporarily been rectified by the placing of hello magazine over the hole but it does not add to the aggressive stance of our C any ideas on what is the best product to use? It is a black interior by the way

you can get some good acoustic cloth from maplin but its the fine speaker grill cloth similar to home hifi speaker cloth, but it contains lycra so shouldnt sag as its very elastic.

If your sub is monted on the underside of the shelf then put soem thin wire mesh over the hole and re-cover - gotta be the easiest way to sort this out!

Did not think of that thanks, is there any cloth that looks like the original cloth that was on the shelf in the first place? Because it does still looks a bit like a home made job and if I need to recover it, I should do it properly with something that looks original.

you really need to stretch that stuff quite a bit and use heavy duty spray glue and staples to hold it tight, pva wont last long with heavy vibration

you can get cans of spray glue cheap from some carpet shops

i used this black fluffy stuff once before and found i had to keep re-tensioning it because of the sagging, it got worse in the summer too and that was with 6x9 holes

if you're still after cloth check out http://www.autoacoustics.co.uk/speakergrillecloth.htm i used their cloth to recover my home speakers, which looked ace til the kitten climbed up them!! loads of colours available, enjoy! Personally i home built an enclosure to fit behind the left wheel arch, but then it was only a dinky 8" to back up my 6x9s on the stealth shelf, works though!!