Sign in to follow this  
fla

wind noise from pass side door

Hi all,

This is confusing - driving along at any speed over 50, there is a lot of wind noise from what seems to be the top of the passenger door. The seal looks intact all around, the door sits in it nicely, there are no obvious protrusions that would disrupt the flow of air. In fact I cant really locate the source of it as there is no draft in the cabin, just a lot of noise. Okay, "lot" is exaggerating but I'm a bit paranoid about getting rid of cabin rattles and car/road noise. I'm thinking it might not even be the door, more like air flowing under the bonnet blowing across some space there? But then if that were the case, would that not mean it would be heard lower down or something?

Any ideas or things to check?

Thanks

Does your door sit properly? Maybe you could adjust the door pin to create a better seal?

I wonder if its a torn or missing plastic inner webbing to the door that's resonating somehow and making you think that it's higher up?

Have you done anything recently to the door or locally to that area. When any problem arises it can usually be put down to something that's cahanged or happened recently.

Good look, I know how difficult it is to diagnose stuff like this, especially having to get your ear to the passenger door whilst driving at 50mph. :shocked!:

Stormin Dave, yes mate I taped up the inner seal with some fabric tape in an attempt to control a VERY small drip i thought was coming through the door. Maybe that's it - not enough air passing though the webbing. May be worth just getting some new one from VW.

Good look, I know how difficult it is to diagnose stuff like this, especially having to get your ear to the passenger door whilst driving at 50mph.

True enough, i asked my father to drive whilst i stuck my head around the door all over the place. Sure must have looked weird to onlookers though!

Thanks