Sign in to follow this  
blackcat

Second Car Insurance

I need to get another car because the VR is not very sensible for my new job. However, the VR insurance has to stay in my name because its a lot cheaper than in my other half's name. So, this means I will have no ncb on my second policy, do insurers take into account that you have ncb but they are on another car??

some do, some don't. My mate has 4 ncb on his golf gti, & got himself an astra van to take fishing - he's only using it for domestic use, so they gave him 4 yrs ncb on the van 2. Just got to be lucky I think.

Speak to Adrian Flux brokers. I have mine insured Full comp for £375 and I had to get a bigger motor for child carrying purposes. They used a company (same I think) to underwrite using the fact I have the NCB already against a 2nd car giving a heavy discount (60% ithink) because you can't use NCB twice. I don't think this is a very common practice as in the past when I had two cars it seemed to be a nightmare to get a good deal (and you can't combine NCB earned on 2 cars in the future onto one car if they were earned at the same time)

If you're claim free, try your current insurer. If you keep the drivers the same you will likely get an introductory discount equivalent to your NCD.

It is always worth trying classic insurance, usually the car has to be 15 years old but if you don't try you don't get.