Sign in to follow this  
surfer.vr6

rear hub nuts

just had my vr6 on ramp today and was shocked to see how much play was in the rear wheels

on taking the wheels off and removing the split pin for the nuts i was further shocked to find i could remove them with my fingers

i had them tightened properly on the tappered stud but i hate to think what would have happened if i had not have checked them

thats normal if they are a bit worn in, they will loosen off and youll be able to undo them by finger they are only just a bit tighter than finger tight anyway just tighten then up (regrease if you have time) and dont worry!

Did you spin the disc the first time round after you tighten the outer nut. Always do this to "bed" the bearing home. Don't use the nut alone to push the bearings home, keep a slow turn motion going as you tighten. Then adjust the outer securing nut again just so as the thick washer behind it can just slide by pushing it with a screwdriver. Spin the disc again and make sure it it's binding, just rubbing friction.

Put the wheel back on and jack down. With the car chocked or in gear, handbrake off, put your foot on the top side of the tyre and rock the tyre and wheel. THere should be at max a very, very slight clunk-clunk. Any more and the bearing is slack. If no clunk, the bearing is too tight. You can also quick check the rear bearings this way at any time without wasting too much time.

The split pin is there for exactly this reason, to stop the nut coming off. Also use a new split pin for this job. The old one can been weakened when removing.