Sign in to follow this  
potatonet

installing steering, having problem with spline

ok so I can get the spline ever so slightly started about 3-4 mm but after that it wont go it, there is nothing blocking the spline on the inside or the outside. I dont know what the heck is going on...

is there some trick that I need to know in order the get the thing on....?

the steering Rack's have the same teeth I checked, plus the part numbers are exactly the same.

any help or post to another thread would be great thanks!

4 hours later, no one has viewed... hehehe thats great

yeah I got it, it took 3 hours of fandagling with the subframe, steering rack, and engine&tranny to finally get it in there and secure. in the end it required starting the spline, pulling myself up (stopping at the subframe) from the bottom of the car while holding onto the part that wouldnt slide freely so it moved a bit, supporting the rack on top of a 17mm socket on the subframe, jacking up the subframe up to where it attaches, bolting it onto the body of the car (this forced the Ujoint to impact whatever is below the brake booster), turning the wheel till I could get a spot to hammer the joint, taking a 20" worth of 3/8" socket extentions and hammering the final bit down.

If I ever have to do this again it will be too soon. it was probably harder than taking out the tranny without dropping the engine, still amazed me, I just hope nothing leaks....

so finishing it off by bolting up the subframe and tightening the nuts on the steering rack. nothing better go wrong when torquing this thing to 96 ft lb, new bolts better hold up.

for all those reading this, NEVER EVER EVER PUT THE WRONG STEERING FLUID INTO YOUR CORRADO!

the guy who owned the car before me 2 years ago did that and has caused me probably 600 US dollars in damages just to the steering system.

always put G11 in I believe... thats what I have anyway. someone confirm with me that G60's use G11 not G7?

4 hours later, no one has viewed... hehehe thats great

thqats cos you posted at 3.00 am in the uk. mate. :sleeping:

caused me probably 600 US dollars in damages just to the steering system.

always put G11 in I believe... thats what I have anyway. someone confirm with me that G60's use G11 not G7?

Err... I hope you haven't used either as steering fluid.

G11 is the old type of coolant VAG used to sell, now superceded by G12+

Not sure whar the PAS fluid is called but only use the green stuff VAG sell, DON'T use red ATF fluid in VW racks!

Agreed,the spleened part of the rack's ujs are barsteds to get back in,i just did it on my G60,added a ZF VR6 rack and had fun getting the small steering colum shaft's uj back in AND there was also that bloody spring to contend with.

One thing i noticed is that it's much easier to connect up if you also remove the whole colum,sounds like a big job but its only 2 allen head bolts+2 anti-theft sheer bolts,couple of connectors to ign. switch,stalk etc and you lift it out of the way,much quicker than faffin around loosening the subframe bolts

I was thinking about taking the column off but I never did, and acutally got in back on amazingly

Supercharged, I Know G12+ and all that jazz, the PAS fluid I have is wierd 18 US dollar german hydraulic fluid that they sold me... sorry for the confusion

meant to say 11S.... or is it supposed to be 7S