Sign in to follow this  
Rpmayne

Sunroof opens but won't close

The sunroof will always side open well on the switch, but when I try to close it again it sometimes won't budge and I have to manually close it. Mechanically its run very free, it seems the motor doesn't seem to be getting power when I use the switch to close it again.

Is there a relay for the sunroof which could cause this problem? I've got a total closure alarm which has caused problems before, could this affect it?

Thanks for any thoughts.

The alarm won't affect it as it triggers the central locking by simulating a key being held in the lock position, which in turn fires the windows and roof.

I think all the gubbins for the roof is in the motor unit itself. You are returning the manual switch back to electrics aren't you? The little cover for the allen key.

It could be a bad switch?

Gavin

I am putting the cover back over the allen key socket again, that's caught me out before because I didn't realise it was a switch aswell. I will check the main switch with a meter later, thanks.

I thinks i got the same problem, pressing the switch slides it back fine but then i have to manually put it back. The mechanics all seem fine not sure what it is ????

If you find a solution please let me know.

similar here

goes back & forth nicely but if i go all the way back it gets stuck, twice caught in the rain with no power!

ben

Have a look at the gutters in the roof subframe and see if the black anti-friction coating is wearing off. If you can see shiny metal, it's wearing out and the motor will struggle. Also, a 10 year old motor won't have the vigour it once had and closing it takes more effort than sliding it back. As Gav says, the thermal cutout is built into the motor itself.....it'll trigger at the slightest bit of resistance unfortunately.

Try shoving loads of grease in there, wind it back and forth severall times by hand and then try with the motor again.

Make sure also that the motor is synchronised and that the roof is aligned properly.

The rear of the roof needs to be 1mm below the roofline and the leading edge of the roof needs to be 0.5mm lower than the roof line.

To synch the motor....tilt the roof by hand just to the point where it stops lifting but the cables continue to move forward (best done with the liner panel slid back into the roof out of the way), then drop the motor down but leave it connected, toggle the switch to lower it, then raise it again till the motor clicks off. Refit the motor and it's now synched.

I've seen some rooves try and tilt too high and the cable guides crash into the water plate guide stops, so it's a good idea to resynch it every now and then.

Once that's all done, the liner should also sit tight and not rattle or have excess vertical play.

If it still doesn't slide back, try taking the rocker arms off (small circlip) and see if it'll slide then...if it does, the motor is tired or there is too much friction in the subframe for the motor to overcome.