Sign in to follow this  
Jim

Mate got a Golf TDI Anniversary today..

And boy am I impressed with that 150PD lump! The power difference and the way its delivered compared to my 115PD is incredible! I want one!

Despite having gone to view the car with my mate, I wanted him to pop the bonnet after the drive just to prove it was a diesel as the lack of noise and nice throaty grunt on the throttle made me think it was the petrol turbo version!

Whereas my diesel pulls from 1,500RPM until about 2,800RPM the 150PD just starts to get going just after 2,000RPM and pulls really well all the way round to about 4,500RPM with genuinely impressive torque.

Feels much quicker than his Cooper S used to as well..

If you haven't had the chance to try one or you need to change your opinion on a diesel, I reccomend trying to go out for a spin in one...

Yep, I had a test drive last year of one and nearly ended up trading the G60 in... Deffo first choice as a company car in the future...

I'm already thinking its the car i'd like to upgrade to after i've had my current car for a year or two..

Probably not ;)

Depends how well its behaving and depends how skint I am when it comes back round to April sort of time :)

I'm already thinking its the car i'd like to upgrade to after i've had my current car for a year or two..

Is it really a lot of difference? I'd like to have a drive of one to see what its like, I don't feel the 115 has got enough ooommppphhhh... A mate had a 130 which was nice. If we chipped ours, 150-165 is possible with a little extra smoke :)))) But I just don't think my turbo would last with my driving technique! Got 132mph out of it last night... hehehe, still was doing 48mpg as well !!!

The - difference is night and day mate - seriously. I think it would have given my G60 a run for its money.. it would destroy my 115PD. I can't imagine what the 150PD is like chipped up! :shock:

As you say, we can chip the 115's up to 150BHP odd but the fact that it would become like a factory chimney isn't all that appealing ;)

Seriously - drive one - you'll be impressed! :)

The - difference is night and day mate - seriously. I think it would have given my G60 a run for its money.. it would destroy my 115PD. I can't imagine what the 150PD is like chipped up! :shock:

As you say, we can chip the 115's up to 150BHP odd but the fact that it would become like a factory chimney isn't all that appealing ;)

Seriously - drive one - you'll be impressed! :)

I think I might, although I'm in deep negotiations to purchase a mate’s Corrado V5 as a replacement daily driver… 8)

Jim, what kind of economy do you get from your golf/how many miles on a tank?

Well around town / low 30's... on the run to work around 37MPG (heavy traffic / 40MPH roads) and on a long run 50MPG+

Last month I managed to do two weeks of normal daily driving, a run down to Oxford and a run to Wales (just over 600 miles) on about 50 quids worth of diesel.

Incredibly, the 150PD seems able to match these figures too..

Jim, what kind of economy do you get from your golf/how many miles on a tank?

Well around town / low 30's... on the run to work around 37MPG (heavy traffic / 40MPH roads) and on a long run 50MPG+

Last month I managed to do two weeks of normal daily driving, a run down to Oxford and a run to Wales (just over 600 miles) on about 50 quids worth of diesel.

Incredibly, the 150PD seems able to match these figures too..

For £40 of juice (pretty much a full tank) I normally get 450 miles, I don't hang about either!

I've just bought a Bora tdi and was just trying to compare figures. I've been getting 550 miles (motorway/city driving) on about 50 litres driving pretty sedately.The capacity is 55 litres and costs about £40 to fill. I don't think mine is pd and is a five speeder and it's not particularly quick but the economy is excellent.

I should imagine its a heck of a downgrade from a supercharged VR6.. :(

I just got 38.5! on a 10 mile trip, I was grannying it admittedly but took it to 5k in 1st and 2nd once. And that was using normal total unleaded, not bp/shell stuff. The 150PD is undoubtedly very good but has mixed reviews, a lot of people prefer the 130 because it is more flexible with the torque, but a remapped 150 you can't argue with. I'm really hankering after a 2003 330d tho, remapped it has 400ft/lb and is supposed to be on another level.

I should imagine its a heck of a downgrade from a supercharged VR6.. :(

A downgrade in performance but quite an upgrade in fuel economy. To be fair these mrk 4s are quite a good drive and it's better equipped than my corrado was and has got air con which I'm grateful for at the moment. The ride quality is better than I'm used to as well so I can't complain too much.

Thats my look on things at the minute too. I can't get over just the difference 8 years makes on the comfort and quality of the interior..

And even though I swore i'd never own a car with aircon, it was absolute bliss when I went to my mates wedding over the weekend.. full tuxedo and 33 degrees centigrade. I finally caved and switched on the aircon on the way over and it was superb.