Sign in to follow this  
red corrado16v

pulling to the left !

Just spent lots of time and money replacing all suspension bushes on my 1990 16 valve ,top mounts (std) wishbone bushes(uprated items) and had my camber and tracking set up by my local VW dealer (Hadwins of Lindale,Cumbria) £52 inc vat and it took them 2 hrs !.Car is riding on standard but recently new (12 months old) shocks and standard ride height springs.it now drives much better than before, but still pulls to the left quite badly and follows the camber of the road ,high speeds 80 mph + the car drifts from side to side .What could it be? Rear axle bushes are next on the list along with arb bushes.Any ideas would be gratefully recieved.

Double check everything is tight after doing the bushes. Sounds like something could be moving around like a loose pivot bolt which goes through the wishbone front bush so giving the wishbone loads of unwanted play.

Double check everything is tight after doing the bushes. Sounds like something could be moving around like a loose pivot bolt which goes through the wishbone front bush so giving the wishbone loads of unwanted play.
Checked,Checked and double checked everything all seems to be ok.Asked the VW technician to check all suspension mounting points prior to tracking and said everything ok.

have you checked the disc isnt hotter on the left than the right ? could be a sticky piston ?

i know you have had the camber set but have you done a visual check from the front of the car, that both wheels have a similar angle/lean ?

does the rack knock at all when you are turning from lock to lock ?

when you turn the steering wheel how much play is there before the wheels turn ?

there is a way of tightening the rack to reduce play

have you checked the tyre pressures ? do you run the same tyres front and rear? if not swop the rear to the front

Mine does this Too! VW claim there is nothing wrong with it and they had about 6 goes at setting it up. Speed, tyres, toe, camber, pressures etc all seem to make no difference. Like the suggestion about the brakes though 'cos (and this is why i'm actually here) my left front 'pulses' under braking (mot man said so) and was thinking about replacing the discs, but maybe i'll swap em over and see if it pulls t'other way

Besides a binding brake, front or back....... if the tyres are not direction types, swap the fronts over and see if it corrects. Even some non-directionals have a bias which applifies if both tyres are biased in the same direction when fitted.

Was the alignment done as all points, ie. with the rear?

What are the rear wheel bearings like? Are correctly they tightened or have slackened and need adjustment? Put the car in gear, handbrake off and rock each rear tyre at the top with your foot. There should a be a faint clunk-clunk. If there is movement, this could explain the drifting side to side at higher speeds. Also if the bearings are not correctly tightened up, the rear can go out of alignment with the front axle leading to road camber steering it. The bearings only need a fair amount of play to do this, ie. you can hear and feel a movement in the bearing relative to the car when you rock the tyre with your foot.

worn cv joint could be the culprit mine did this recently it was the front shocks that sorted it but yours are fairly new so unlikely.