Sign in to follow this  
chris g

Rear spoiler

I tried doing a search but couldn't find anything. Basically I want to carry a couple of bikes this weekend and would like to disable the rear spoiler is possible. Is it just a fuse i've got to pull out or something?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Chris

have you looked in the owners manual for the fuse?...it might be on its own...im not sure...worth a check though. ....just pull it out if so.

The rear spoiler system is controlled by two fuses.

FUSE 16 15 Amp

Controls : Rear spoiler control unit.

Also on fuse: Dash warning/indicator lights, glove box light, multi function indicator.

FUSE 21 15 Amp

Controls : Rear spoiler adjustment

Also on fuse: Interior lights, boot light, cigarette lighter, digital clock, engine diagnostics, central locking,

multi function indicator.

Neither are really satisfactory as key circuits are also isolated.

The next option is to consider isolating the circuit at a convenient point in the circuit after the spoiler control unit supply output to the spoiler motor. In the boot and the tailgate, there are two breaks in the wiring loom for the spoiler feed. The one in the boot is located in the left hand side. Some of the trim will need to be removed to gain access. It is a two pin in-line connector with white/blue stripe and a green/white stripe wires passing through it. This can be separated when the spoiler needs to be kept down with the bike rack fitted.

The other option is to remove the rear hatch inside panel and locate a two pin in-line connector with white/blue stripe and a green/white stripe wires entering and dual red and dual black wires respectively leaving the connector. Separating this will also prevent the spoiler rising.

A third alternative is to remove the speed pulses fed to the control unit. Behind the fuse/relay panel, there is a connector with three wires to it. Two are blue with a white stripe, the third is white with a blue stripe. This third wire feeds the speed pulses to the control unit. Find it and isolate the third wire temporarily. Check the this has stopped the rear spoiler working while the Corrado is on the move. If successful, fit a switch to this wire, fit a wire extension back to the original connector connection and mount the switch in the lower dash area. Wire it so that the switch either makes the circuit (spoiler active) or breaks the circuit (spoiler inoperative).

The above is based on 1991 16v wiring. If you want to pursue the options with switches etc, come back with your specific Corrado engine & when made and I'll look up the specific wiring charts for wire colours and routing.

The best way IMHO (and one that makes sure that it CAN'T work) is to disconnect the motor's power by taking off the inner cover on the boot lid and taking off the multiplug... ;) There's no way it can go up then and you don't risk anything else electrical being affected...

The even better and simpler way without touching anything electrical at all is to remove the cover from the inside of the tailgate and pull out the small black plastic 't' shaped thing which allows you to manually raise or lower the spoiler. This disconnects the motor and gearbox from the control lines to the two spoiler posts.

No loose wires, motor and gearbox will still spin away but no active spoiler.

Did this on mine as one side is completely loose and don't want it raising all lop-sided. (Story of my life...)

Chris.

motor and gearbox will still spin away but no active spoiler.

And burn out the motor as the end of travel microswitch will not trigger!