Sign in to follow this  
bigpants baby

8v auto gearbox trouble

Pantsy It is behind the plastic panel to the right of the drivers foot and covered by the bonnet release.

Why do you ask?

oh bloody ell,didnt think,i have bought this 8v auto,for some reason no kickdown or 4th gear(70@ 6k revs)

plugged in fault reader,it coming back with no3 solonoid fault,hope its a faul with the wiring & not gearbox?

These auto's are a complete PITA. Two potential issues. One is electronics and generally ECU failure. The other is gearboxes that need rebulds. From what I have picked up on the forum they last 80k miles or there abouts.

Sounds like trouble.

bigpants baby, when was the fluid and filter last changed? If never, when you open it up the filter will likely be choked. About £20 from VW. Also, make sure you clean out the sump and pan and carefully wipe the solenoid base. Then refill and run for a couple of hundred miles, drain the fluid again and refill and you my find the gearbox has settled. I cant remember if the solenoids are replaceable individually tho.

would it be a lot different to a vr gearbox

Dunno mate only had an auto C. Filter is inside the sump guard - its a black plastic cover with a slight curve at the front. There is a small drain screw you will also seeon the base which you use to drain teh first load of tranny fluid. Then remove the sump guard. When this is off you can remove the filter - it will look like a brownish cover. Theres a link to show you how to do this on the Vortex, but it quite straightforward, no magic in it at all. The only thing is you wont be able to drain the torque converter hence it is useful to refill, drain again and then refill. Unless you take it to a garage who will be able to pump it out for you. Shouldnt be more than about £40 tho.

HTH