Sign in to follow this  
smiff

Smoke From Steering Column!

Has anyone else experienced this?

About to go home from work last night, I put my key into the ignition and turned it to it's first stop (Dash lights on) But before I could turn over the starter motor, a small whisp of white smoke lingered up from behind the steering wheel? After initial panic (is the car gonna catch fire?....wish I had a fire extinguisher!....) I left it for a few seconds and started the car, it seemed ok! (The amount of smoke was less than from a burning cigarette, but did smell of burning plastic)

When I got home I took the whole column apart and cleaned and hoovered all the electrics, there was a lot of dust and fluff, but no sign of any burnt or even scorched wires?

On my way to work this morning. (After the car had started fine and with no evidence of smoke) Hacking down the motorway I look down and see a very faint trace of smoke?

Will she catch fire? Can anybody suggest what else I should check, I must have missed something?

Just out of curiosity, have you posted about this before? I have seen someone post about this problem on either the eGroup and the forum in the last few months?

Plastic burninmg smells can come from relays?

My indicator relay did it once on my golf and its a really stong smell and tiny amount of smoke.

You need to pull the relpays out as they could be burned out from the inside. When you atke each one out, give them a smell and see if you can find which one it is. Do you run a sub / amp? Does the stereo work and all other related items, such as the fan, brake lights etc?

The fact its comming up through the steering collum may suggest that the wires around the column may need attention. Also, check at the back on the engine where the main wiring loom is and make sure these are ok and protected.

Take the steering cowling off and have another look, you need to be carefull I think. Theres no smoke without fire!

Ah ha!

The cigarette lighter and the passenger mirror light have not worked for years!

The stereo works (I do not have an amp)

Are the indicator relays within the steering column, or the fuse box?

I also had this happen on my golf a few years ago. Turned out to be the indicator lever melting around the contacts where it had worn over the years. question are you getting any strange dash lights i.e. indicator light on or glowing a little?

No, I haven't noticed any strange dash lights.

Was it easy to repair the indicator lever? Did you get hold of new vw parts?

Paid about £35 from a stealer for a new indicator stalk. Bound to be more money for a corrado. Easy job stearing wheel off undo connectors, undo and slide off the indicator stalk and then replace. Bearing in mind i am talking about a Golf.

You can fit MK3 Golf Gti stalks to the C. Not sure how but it can be done it works cause I have them in mine. Might be cheaper and looks alot better IMHO

All sorted.

My local vw expert suggested replacing the ignition swith. He said he had replaced quite a few on vw's over the years. Its not uncommon to need replacing on a car with over 100k miles on the clock. Switch £11.50 + 1 hours labour. :D

Hey im new to the forum...and i know this is a old thread but i just wanted to let you guys know i just experienced the same smoking column problem tonite. i took it apart and saw that when i turn the ignition on there was a wire that was glowing...i dont know if its a short or what but it does make sense to change the ignition switch. i love this forum and thats y i came directly here and did a search on the problem...and sure enough....i found it... ill let you guys know what happens after i know 100%.

Cool, welcome to the forum... 8)

Hope you find a cure to your fault nice and quickly... :D

It turned out to be the ignition switch and i replaced it and it worked, but after putting everything together i think sumthing got unplugged so now the car doesnt start :( . i posted the problem so u could all read it if you want by clicking my name then searching under my list of posts. thanx tho for the help and welcoming. :mrgreen:

I got this same wisp of smoke from my steering column this evening.

Car doesn't seem affected - everything works as normal. I'll just see how I go until something starts to not work.

Eep... it happened again.

I think tomorrow I might look at having a poke around under there. I'm starting to get a bit worried! :(

I got some white smoke from around the steering column area a few months ago and posted it on here.. Still haven't found what burnt, but think the cause was the blue wire to the alternator wearing on the braid to the newly fitted oil cooler. :roll: I think this connects to the ignition switch so might have overloaded the contacts a tad switching the battery straight to earth. No evidence of burnt wires though and haven't checked the switch yet, cars still dead for other reasons.

Never saw anymore smoke after that, bought a fire extinguisher but on second thoughts a fire extinguisher isn't much good if a direct short starts frying things.. Local mechanic sugested an isolation switch near the battery to kill the power first, then start extinguishing things. Could just end up with alot of steam otherwise until the circuit eventually breaks.

a similar thing happened to me a few years ago, but with a fair bit of smoke! i shat myself stopped and turned off the ignition before bailing out. when i turned the ignition off though the smoke stopped. then i couldnt reproduce it again and took it apart at work. it turns out that the wiring loom from the light switch had chaffed on the dash chasis and was burning the rest of the loom and insulation. it carried on burning because the clown who had it before me put a 20A fuse in presumably to stop the propper 5A from blowing. new cable & lots of protectiev tape sorted it.

dont know if that helps but it got it off my chest :)