Sign in to follow this  
stingman123

Help!! Will one of these fit into a VR6 Rado?

Should drop straight in as it's basically the same engine with a slightly lower capacity. There are some differences though.

All you have to do is get the engines side by side and switch the

Intake manifold / throttle body.

The wiring looms.

And then refit it. Nothing else needs doing. Whilst its out it would be good to replace the clutch.

Just looked at the ad again, its a 1993 so you probably wouldnt have to change the loom either as its more than likely to be OBD1 which is the same as the rado.

The manifold and TB on the rado is better than the golf. Once you've switched the engines you should be able to sell many of the bits off of your old engine back on fleebay.

You are unlikely to get a warranty on the 2.8 AAA are you ? I assume that you have all the ancilliaries to complete the 2.9 ABV - what damage was done to your original engine?

My advice is to find out as much as you can about the history, mileage etc of the ABV, and then buy it if it seems reasonable. If inspection shows it to be necessary and if funds allow, change the chains etc before fitting it. Even the Buy Now price seems fair. You may be able to recoup something for your old engine unless it was completely shattered.

Best wishes

RB

Sorry Roger,

I'm not much for engines I'm afraid! Whats the ABV bit mean?

This is hopefully to drop straight back into a Corrado VR6, so I'm assuming it would do just that?

My engine has blown the head and block,could I sell that on?

ABV is the engine code - 2.9. AAA is 2.8.

Personally I'd go for the Corrado one, if the seller can confirm it's low mileage. Looks like it's been sat outside for ages though, so there's no guarantee the surface rust hasn't found it's way into the cylinders....which is not good if it has....can potentially snap the rings when you turn it over.

Both look tatty tbh .....but what can you do? It's that or a £2000 rebuild.

Roger,

Fair comment on the history and the chains. I doubt the 2.9 will go very high as it looks a mess. Its been out in the elements for a while.

The 2.8 is far less likely to have significant bore wear and is thus a better bet. But I could be totally wrong on these individual engines.

Stingman can you work on these, stripping them down etc?

ABV is the VW engine code for the 2.9 litre Corrado VR6; yes, it will go straight in. Having looked at the eBay photo, it looks as though the inlet manifold may have taken a knock so it would be worth swapping that with your original.

Head and block?? What happened? A catastrophic timing gear failure or a grand overheating seizure? Sounds like it's unlikely to yield much return.

Best wishes

RB

Thanks guys,

Found a breaker with a head & block for £650 and a 3 month warranty, so maybe this will be my safest bet.

Roger....it was indedd a grand overheating! and unfortunately my temperature gauge was getting looked at the very next day!!

Hmm. If your old engine failed catastrophically through overheating, your pistons will have been well and truly cooked. Are you getting "new" ones with the block?

And what was the cause of the overheating in the first place?

Best wishes

RB

It was a water leak,

I had been topping it up every 50 mles or so and then it blew after I had filled it 10 mins earlier, my guess is that something further on down the line went and all the water went with it, when the engine went the water tank was empty.

As for the new pistons, I'm not sure,but I will ask

It's just that a new set of pistons may cost many hundreds of pounds if you have to get them independently of the block. This may alter your decision back to the one on eBay. Incidentally, you can't use 2.8 litre pistons - they are 1mm too small.

Best wishes

RB