Sign in to follow this  
Riley

setting up g60 fuel and ignition. page 3 help

hi guys,

i just replaced the fuel feed pipe right from the filter to the engine bay and now id like to set up the ignition timing and c/o again.

1/with me not running a cat,do i still need to use the c/o machine on the pipe from the manifold,or can i stick it up the tailpipe?

2/what should the ignition timing be set at at what rpm?

3/what should the c/o level be set at? and this is done by adjusting the sensor in the air pipe?

4/what should the tickover be at?

what order do i do it all in?

not sure my mate knows 100% what hes doing,he did disconnect bts,adjusted air flow thing untill c/o read .5ish (about 4 full turns !! and was fluctuating) and then adjusted tickover with the air screw on the throttle body.

cheers,neil.

500 ohms across the outer pins on the co pot seems to be about right for most people

timing is 6 degs at 2500 rpm with blue temp sender disconected(rev to 3k 3 times first)

500 ohms across the outer pins on the co pot seems to be about right for most people

timing is 6 degs at 2500 rpm with blue temp sender disconected(rev to 3k 3 times first)

thanks m8,but i dont have a clue what you mean about the co pot? 500 ohms? pins? :oops:

don't you rev to 3k 3 times to get it out of timing mode???

that rings a bell with me too!

is it once the bts is reconnected or? :?

the mk1 on 45's was much more simple :lol:

neil.

thanks m8,but i dont have a clue what you mean about the co pot? 500 ohms? pins?

take of the connector plug to the co pot and you will see on the plug still attached to the pot three pins, hook up your multimeter in ohms mode and attach the leads from it to the outer two pins on the co pot. there you will get a reading, low is rich high is lean, about 500 ohms is safe ,to adjust the reading ,pop out the blue plug on the co pot and insert a screw driver to alter reading,it that simple mate

good luck

regards kevin

thanks m8,but i dont have a clue what you mean about the co pot? 500 ohms? pins?

take of the connector plug to the co pot and you will see on the plug still attached to the pot three pins, hook up your multimeter in ohms mode and attach the leads from it to the outer two pins on the co pot. there you will get a reading, low is rich high is lean, about 500 ohms is safe ,to adjust the reading ,pop out the blue plug on the co pot and insert a screw driver to alter reading,it that simple mate

good luck

regards kevin

thanks kevin :D

now im gonna sound stupid here,which is the co pot?

and this is to adjust the fuel/air mixture? :oops:

neil.

ok a bit more searching,and it looks like the co pot is the thing my mate adjusted in the boost pipe between t body and intercooler?

so you dont use an exhaust gas anlyser? :?

my co on the anilyser was reading 0.5?

neil.

All c/o settings should be done with a gas annaliser the people telling you to set the pot @ 500ohms are just telling you to set it at a safe level. If you have a gas annaliser set your lambda valve to 1v on idle this will give you stoichamectric valve.

If you have a gas annaliser set your lambda valve to 1v on idle this will give you stoichamectric valve.

cheers darren,how do i do this?

ive gotta go to work now but will check back later!

neil.

bump,will be doing this tommorow so would appreciate any advice :!:

thanks,neil.

anyone? :(

i now know i should have roughly 500ohms between pins 1 and 3 on the co pot.

1/with me not running a cat,do i still need to use the c/o machine on the pipe from the manifold,or can i stick it up the tailpipe?

3/what should the c/o level be set at on a gas anyliser? and this is done by adjusting the sensor in the air pipe?

cheers,neil.

anyone? :(

i now know i should have roughly 500ohms between pins 1 and 3 on the co pot.

3/what should the c/o level be set at on a gas anyliser? and this is done by adjusting the sensor in the air pipe?

cheers,neil.

1. makes no difference where you check it. Just a bit of a lag with the tailpipe cos of the distance.

2. 6 degrees +- 2 I think at tickover. With the BTS off. You should also check the advance at 2500-3000. From memory cos the Bentley is at home, 30 + the base setting.

3. More guessing, 1%+- .5 Yep the CO pot in the inlet pipe. The reason for setting it to 500 Ohms is because not everyone has access to a CO meter. 500 Ohms is a best guess and no substitue for doing it correctly with a CO meter.

4. 900+-50 seems good to me. IMO as long as it isn't stalling or sounds like it's going to fast it'll be ok. Not like it spends that much time ticking over anyway.

Adjusting one may alter another setting, ie more fuel will increase tickover, so you need to alter all three in conjunction with each other.

I would start with the timing, as that is not influenced by the other 2.

And for Toms benefit, use the search. It must have been done a million times the G60 set up thing. :lol:

gavin

No probs, best bet if you like meddling with your car is to get the Bentley. You may like me only use about 6 pages but it saves laods of money in the long run.

Gavin

yeah,try to do as much as i can myself 8)

the g60 engine is still pretty new to me so im learning all the time,maybe a bentley would be good!

thanks again,neil.

ok guys i checked the reading on pins 1 and 3,

it was at 1.868ohms ! turning it in 10 times got it to .486ohms.

but however much i mess with the co pot the mixture reading on the gas anyliser struggles to reach 0.5 :? in fact it eventually always settles to either 0.00 or 0.2 tops :?

i think theres sommet not quite right,or im doing something wrong?

neil.

Have you disconnected the BTS??

yep,while adjusting the co pot to .486 ohms(so bts and co pot were unplugged).

plug back in the co pot,then bts,revs rise and co machine starts flying up (4%),but then settles again at 0-0.2ish.

have i gone wrong somewhere or is something fecked? dont think its the bts(as revs drop).

co pot seems to be ok at a guess? :?

lambda probe or ecu maybe? :cry:

neil.

dont set your mixture with the blue cts removed this will be putting the car into service mode

ahh so i should leave the bts connected? :?

if the co pots around 500ohms how come my mixture isnt right?

which way should i turn it to richen the mixture?

im confused man :(

cheers for help so far,neil.

my co on the anilyser was reading 0.5?

neil.

whats gone wrong since here? :?

although even then it was fluctuating from .3 average to .5%

ok,it seems that my mates co machine must be faulty :?

i dug out me dads old one,stuck it on and got a reading of 0.6-7% twiddled the co pot a little and got it bang on .5%.

is it looking good?

im not sure if i should be using the top or bottom lines on the gauge :oops: and theres a switch,2 and 10? :?

was done at tickover 850 rpm and bts connected.

neil.