Sign in to follow this  
HyDeZaLoT

6 speed transmission??

i searched and found nothing, so now for the Q

i test drove a newer Golf GTI with a vr6 in it that had a 6-speed tranny in it.. i was wondering if anyone knew if it was possible to get a 6 speed in the rado's??

it's possible, but you need new custom made drive shafts and gearbox mounts and you have to modify the rear subframe too to accept the new custom gearbox mount...

Some of the 20VT guys will be able to give you more details as they've done it with their conversions... 8)

some of what henny said is true, you need chassis mounts, look at dutchdub for some and you need to change the inner cv cups from the 6 speed box to those from a beetle 1.8T

the major disadvantage is the weight of the box itself

That's right H8RRA, shame Gemini don't do the 6 stacker any more....

But the box still needs to come out to fit the longer mainshaft and end cover.....but subsequent changes of 5th and 6th can be done with the box in situ I think....

The bonus of this approach is the selection will feel stock corrado and the the gear casing is standard, so no fecking about with shafts and mounts.

hmmmmm, from what that page u posted looks like, its just adding on another gear, but keeping the same final ratio... i was hoping for something like i felt in the GTI where there was a seperate gear with a different ratio... (dunno, just don't like keeping the rado at 4k rmps at 80 mph)

Mate, you can bugger about with the cogs till your hearts' content. 4K is a good rpm...it's the sweet spot on most VW engines, which makes 5th gear overtaking nice and effortless. I had my 3.39 Final drive taken out and a lower 3.68 FD put in it's place so that I could get that 4000 rpm magic, although mine pulls 4000 at 90mph, not 80. Used to be 105ish at 4000rpm in top, which is silly for a road car personally speaking...but not as silly as the Diablo's 92mph in 1st mallarky....

But anyway.....

You can customise the gearing to your exact requirements, it's dead easy....