Sign in to follow this  
smarkham

Low oil pressure

My vr has noisy tappets they have only done 2k. I took it back to the place that did my top end re build and they found it had very low oil pressure. They said it could be the big ends or the oil pump it is also burning a bit of oil all 6 plugs have oil on them. Whats everyone thoughts on this ?

They said the pressure was low, but did they have a reference figure to compare it to? I've not heard of a VR pump failing but RW1 mentioned something about the wrong grade of oil causing premature pump wear on some VR6s.....

Oil on all 6 plugs ay....well I think we can outrule all 6 bores being screwed....so my next question is...is it a 93 car with no PCV filter? Sounds like it could be, in which case you need to retro fit a PCV filter from a ford Galaxy V6 and run the small inlet to the brake servo pipe's aux ouput... I'll explain more once you've confirmed the car's age.....

Its a 94 They said the pressure on tickover was just under 1 bar and only 3 bar under load. It only smokes when you back off for a while let it overun then stick your foot down again and it will puff out blue smoke then its fine again. Not tried the smoking thing since I found out the pressure was low only drove it back from the garage to decide what to do as they quoted 300 ish for doing the pump