Sign in to follow this  
CharlieC

Rattle rattle

OK, rattling problems going on. When I pull away, I hear a nasty rattling noise, which appears to come from the underside. I can hear it normally on changing from 1-2nd.

Possible causes? What do I need to check?

itll be a loose heat shield, pinking (cylinder rattling in the bore(bad)) or a rattle snake in the boot (also fairly bad)

Being more specific is tough on this one! Tough to record too, as it's only when the car's accelerating hard / decelerating hard. Don't fancy sticking a mike out the window when it happens!

I'm no mechanic - where can I find the heat shield(s)?

CharlieC, specifics such as what engine you've got, and the underside of what would help here... :|

To be honest, it sounds to me like it's gonna be the exhaust heat sheild that runs along the bottom of the center tunnel on the car. It's a thin sheet of Aluminium which is held on with steel clips. The clips rust, fall off and allow the sheild to vibrate on the exhaust... Good news is that the clips are only a few pence from VW... 8)

OK, I need to get up to speed with this stuff - apologies.

I've got a 1994 VR6, no engine mods. Not sure exactly where the noise is coming from, but seems to be underneath the car (centrally), rather that the engine / rear.

I'm taking it to Stealth next week, so will have a look at the heat shield when it's up on the ramp.