Sign in to follow this  
olly elworthy

pack C 8v head on g60

been offered a tsr pack C 8v head from a PB (na digifant golf gti mk2 8v motor)

was thinking as it will bolt straight up of using it on my G60 PG engine,,,

the head has stainless steel valves of 40mm inlet diameter and 35 exhaust, should provide a good hike in power,,

just worried the non g60 head will cause me any probs,

ie not heat treated aswell? are the waterways inside the same, non sodium filled exhaust valves etc,, your views will be kindly recieved so type away,,, :D

phone TSR and ask them I am sure when I enquired with them they said the 8v heads were all the same, worth giving them a ring always been helpful when I have spoken to them

I had a Pack C on an 1800 mk1 with a TSR 103 cam and vernier it made 177bhp. Not a bad jump from an other wise boggo motor.

I think it would be a killer on a G60. Assuming it is ok to fit it valvewise.

Gavin

yeah reason i want to get a big valve head done is because i have a pack c head on my 1600 mk1 gti trackcar its pretty awesome, runs about 135-140 hp from a 1.6,

yeah big valve head on a g60 makes an awesome difference, have a jabbasport big valve on mine and my mate has one on his g40, huge difference in power, especcially when you get the accompaning cam. (just nothing to wild on a g60)

Are 40mm/35mm valves larger than standard on a G60 ??

Like samg60, I have a Jabba big valve head on my car & I'm certain the valves are bigger than 40/35.

Chris have you seen the work and money involved in doing a 16V G60????

No, enlighten me!

I'm sure there's one or two on here that's done that?

Chris

http://www.bahnbrenner.com/media/php/ca ... &catid=169

http://www.bahnbrenner.com/media/php/16v.php

No point in me cutting and pasting it all. Suffice to say you would be into a couple of grand minimum. Don't get me wrong they chuffing fly. Having been a passenger in a std Limited once, which had 20 hp more than my own G60. The difference is night and day. With a chip n pulley 250 is very realistic.

Gavin

Are 40mm/35mm valves larger than standard on a G60 ??

Like samg60, I have a Jabba big valve head on my car & I'm certain the valves are bigger than 40/35.

40 & 35 is larger than standard and i expect thats what yours is, you got yours running yet?

He was at Harewood last weekend, must have driven there as there was no trailer in sight! :lol:

Alright mate,

You can run a Pack C non G60 head without any problems, I have built a number of these engines using these with my brother and we have never had a problem. If you want the best VW sourced head for this engine, it is the late 1.8 gti solid lifter head from a MK1, solid lifer heads give more valve lift and also the tappets don't pump at high RPMs. Standard G60 valves are 40 inlet and 33 exhaust, on the big valve conversions you don't really want a larger inlet valve since you will lose torque and also have a drop in air speed, the exhaust side is bigger to allow the engine to breath because the charger will force air in but unless you can get rid of the exhaust gases efficently you back everything up including power.

You can get 36mm exhaust valves but they ain't cheap to say the least, I ran these on my last engine.

As for cams I won't use anything myself other than Schrick, and you don't want more than 280 deg since after that you get valve over lap and will lose boost unless you run alot more compression. I ran a 276 deg which is very good although very lumpy! A 260 or 268 would be a better compromise.

I hope the above helps.

Jat

thanks for that jat, was yours that awesome mk1 with something loke 273 bhp? think i`ll be after a 268 cam, dont wanna go too far as its a daily driver, I do have a dx 1.8 cyl head at home but was going to retain the hydraulic tappets so i was thinking of using teh spare PB head i have, only thing im sceptical about the pb head is it says it was made in mexico written inside it?

Yes mate that was mine.

A 268 would be fine and would produce smooth power from tick over. some of the bigger cams stall air flow sometimes off idle and it makes them a little hard to drive smooth in traffic.

I have never used a Mexican head to be honest, should be fine but I have no experience with them.

Be sure to get the engine set up after the mods, they really do turn the G60 from a lazy engine into one that you want to rev.

Good luck.

Jat

excellent i will go for the 268 then,

must admit the g60 does not like to rev power does not increace after 5600 rpm even with a chip and pully, im putting this down to the flow not actually being able to get through the head,

at the moment i am running an sns stage 5.5 chip with std injectors, i imagine i am going to have to go to red top injectors to provide the extra fuel i will need,

also the Map sensor will be recieving less boost for the same revs as the new head will be in effect using up the excess boost i have already so with my current map the car would probably run lean.

I am lucky enough to own a wideband so i will have to have a look at it once its all up and running,

Think i am going to need a remap though to release the full potential of the engine and also to make sure it is safe.

Another question i have is wether it would be worth getting the head significantly skimmed in order to raise the compression a little to improve off boost and down the rev range response? I have no idea how much you can safley skim an 8v head by before you start running into problems.?

Hi mate,

You could skim the head but the thing with that is although it would increase the compression a little, your head may become scrap when it comes time to have a top end rebuild since you have removed the material that allows you reface the head, especially true if for some reason you blow a head gasket and it needs doing.

If you wanted to do this its best to remove material on both the block and the head. But if you are going to rebuild it then you might as well start from scrach and also get rid of the G60 rod since they do tend to rotate the shells at high RPM since they are so short 139mm. The angle they are on the down stoke will do this. Best to use the 144mm rods and change the pistons also for ones to the compression you want to use.

I building a new engine with even more power this time but doingit on a budget if theres such a thing! :o

You are right about the head using the boost more efficently this will lower the boost reading on a boost gauge, and it will run lean unless the fuel pressure is adjested and could ideally do with a remap.

Jat

olly elworthy, My G60's running well at the moment - just need to fit the front mount cooler & get the mapping finished. Running approx 210bhp at the mo with more to come from the new cooler & new map.

Check my sig for more details .. :wink:

i have a spare set of rods from a 16v KR motor, this project is escellating, if im gonna change the rods and pistons then i may aswell go up to a 1.9, prob worth me collecting up the bits over time and doing the whole lot over the winter,, any suggestions on where to get pistons from? and what type? forged or not? i have heard mixed opinions about forged pistons in a road car,,