Sign in to follow this  
andrewdowd

Cambelt let go at 6000rpm!! what r my chances?

notice you had red top injectors on the table there steve

of course...every didng table should do i thought! 8)

olly elworthy, SNS chip - mapped by Daz & Liam (G-Werks/Pitstop). Car's approx 210bhp & still nowhere near it's full potential - gonna get Daz to sort the mapping properly once I've fitted the front mount cooler.

Check the link in my sig for full spec .. :D

Well hope u all like the pic, I'm just hoping the guides arn't knackered and that i may be able to use the head again ;) fat chance i rekon

Both of the exhaust valves in view have hit the pistons .. :(

Just had another look - both of the inlet's have too .. :shock:

There appears to be an imprint of the piston crown on all 4 valves.

I'm just wondering if the conrods are bent? On some engines when the valves and pistons mash, the conrods do bend. But I'm thinking the G60 ones should be stronger than normal??

Probably better having a chat with darren, he'll have seen quite a few disasters.

pistons are comin to the top of the bore i shouldnt see any probs, i think the valves took all the impact, pistons look ok a bit of the carbon is scraped off where they touched but thats all

think yourself lucky its only an 8 valve, a mate of mine has just scrapped his alfa 155 after the cambelt went, it bent all 16 valves, punched holes in 3 pistons and bent 1 of the conrods, it was 10k past the belt change mileage and we all told him to get it changed but he spent the money on a set of alloys the muppet

the valves only just touch the pistons, so the chances of knackering pistons/con-rods is VERY low...

The valve guides just press in... take the head to a local engine machinist and they'll lob in new guides, recut the valve seats, check the head for trueness and give it a good once over for around £80 to £100 (at least, that's what I got charged last time I had it done...) That'll give you basically a new top end which should last you another 100k miles (or snapped cam-belt... :roll: )

Valves can be bought from GSF or Euro for less than VAG money although I seem to remember that GSF only sells exhausts and ECP only sells inlets for some odd reason... :roll:

yup took the head apart... not one valve survived have stripped em all out, guides are still ok no play or ovalling in any of them, taken it to the engine co. should be about £120 supply new valves skim and de-coke and theyre gonna replace the exhaust manifold studs, im gonna lap the valves in myself after ive ported n polished, mates got a nice tim styles head sittin on the bench i can copy :)

Can't believe you managed to do every one of the valves! Price you pay for a high lift cam i guess! Did u ask patrick about some bigger exhaust valves? I think we'll be able to sort the porting out a bit better than that TSR head.

evenin jezz, yea mate i did it good n proper, didnt ask about bigger valves patrick wasnt there, plus with the amount i spent so far i didnt wanna have to take out a mortgage :p