Sign in to follow this  
Phil.C

Gearbox compatibility

Does anyone know if a VR6 gearbox will fit a 2.0 16v engine without modifications or problems?

different housing shape IIRC.

David.

The bell housing is different but I thought the actual gearbox part was the same size, physically, across the 2A range?

yup, I've been told that you can swap the bell housing between gearboxes to make VR6 fit 4 cylinder and visa versa... 8)

Thanks for the feedback so far. Would like to here from someone who has actually done this. Is it difficult to to change the bell housing from one gearbox to the other?

ME!,VEEDUBBED strikes again...,i've changed a few including a 'AGC" code VR6>16v 'AYN' 'box,i'm using a gearbox off a passat TDI'99 on my g60.16v for overall longer gears,i didn't gain much because the passat has 17 inch wheels as standard as opposed to 15 inch G60 wheels,the longest geared 'box available is the golf 3 tdi's 'box,exellent for powerfull turbocharged 16valvers.

The main problem concerns the removal of the 5th gear cluster,choose your puller carefully and operate it slowly,always checking that the pullers little feet don't pull on a geartooth,garanteed,it will break..,when selecting 2 gears simultainiosly in order to lock up the tranny to undo the 5th's retaining bolts,make sure you ingauge 5th and first gears or reverse,any thing higher and you risk breaking gear teeth because of the considerable force involved while your undoing the bolts.

Remember the hidden bolt inside the casing(Torx)

1 last thing,your going to have fun trying to get the bearing races out of the bellhousing,the mainshaft's conical bearing is pressed into a blind hole and there bastids to remove without damage.

Look me up if you need assistence,cheers,Andrew.