Sign in to follow this  
Linus Van Pelt

Rear Number Plate Surround

Could someone please explain to me how this is attached to the car? I can see what looks to be clips at the bottom, and there's movement from the top, but something's definitely holding it in (other than the tailgate light clusters).

Reason being that the scr*te who put on my rear number plate (the dealer I think) used rather long screws & went straight through the surround without using the holes that were there for it!

I'm putting new plates on and want to see if there's any bodywork damage from the screws before I do since I can see paintwork through the slidey holes where the screws go... (just not enough to see if the screw went into the car itself...

Muppets :mad:

(I'm fixing the new ones on with double sided pads!)

Thanks in advance!

DtM.

okay

Take off the plate and you will find the surround is held in buy two screws,

the plate itself screws into two platic clip things that move to allow you to get the holes in the corect place and get the plate centered, you then tighten the plate screws and it tightens so it wont move. I would also recommend using some thin foam or draft excluder on the back ot the plate to keep it from scratching the surround. It also stops the plate danging when you shut the boot!!

The screws only turn a quarter of the way and are un done and the same as putting them back in! I used double sided sticky tape to secure my plates even more, I dont like numper plates being screwd on through th eplastic, it looks smoother and cleaner to not see any holes and the letters on the plate look better IMO.

okay

Take off the plate and you will find the surround is held in buy two screws

...I took the old plate off last night to have a look & I couldn't see any screws under the plate to take the surround off with (hence the post)...

It was late, I was tired, maybe I just missed them... (the surround is a bit mucky under where the plate was...) :scratch: :sleeping:

I'll try again this evening...

Thanks people!

DtM.

The screws are on the inside of the tailgate at the bottom where the black trim is!!

...the two little black cross-heads that are either side of the boot catch?

(They're the only one's I can see, except the four plastic ones along the inside boot lid which are preusmably for the trim...)

DtM.