Sign in to follow this  
gollfy

One more problem I need to solve

Right here goes :roll:

1993 Corrado G60

Problem:

Fuel pump priming constantly with ignition on

What I have found:

Somebody has put and earth wire straight to the smallest pin on the fuel pump relay

What I have tried:

Taking the wire off, pump primes for a few seconds as it should. but car does not start as no fuel being delivered

Put the wire on, pump primes ALL the time and car will start

Was advised to get a new fuse box then an ECU which I have done but I still have the problem

I know this one is a messy one, but trying to have a go before I send to a proper auto electrician.

Any idea's guys

Thanks everyone

I would put money on the fuel pump relay having a bad soldered joint in it. Try swapping with another if you have someone close who has one. Or take the case off and have a look inside. See what you can see.

Gavin

You need to get a Bentley manual then... I have a fuse box that should do you but I am not a big fan fo replacing stuff without proving its the only thing that could be at fault.

You used to get knocked badly for guessing in my Apprenticeship and I still try not to do it now.

If you can get a manual for a mk2 Golf and follow the diagrams for a PB engine, digifant 8V GTI, you should be able to check the fuse box with a meter and confirm if that's the fault or not. The looms should be pretty similar.

GAvin

Had an electrician to swop the fuse box already and I have swopped the ecu so i can discount both of them

sounds like someone's bodged something to get around an old immobiliser to me...

Yes, it did have an old imoblilizer on at some point, have the paperwork for it. Going to have to try and find out where it goes :( :(

check the wiring to the fuel pump (probably under the rear seat or where it joins the fuse box) for a wire spliced in. It sounds like the way this has been rewired is to run another ignition live from somewhere to the fuel pump so that it no-longer follows the opperation of the relay so it stays on all the time... the way to prove this is to try it without the fuel pump relay connected. If it's still running then it's been rewired somewhere onto an ignition live to get around the old immobilizer... ;)

Good luck!

It does sound like an ECU problem to me but you say you have replaced it?. The Fuel Pump Relay grounds through the ecu so when you first turn the ignition on it will prime for a couple of seconds then when you start the engine the ecu will ground the Fuel Pump Relay again and run it continously. I think the immolbilser interupts the live feed to the pump so it doesnt sound like that is the problem IMO.

*mod edit - changed "FPR" into "Fuel Pump Relay" as FPR normally means "fuel pressure regulator" - Henny*

mk2_20vt, if that's how it works (and I'm not questioning you, TBH, I'm not sure which way around it's wired) then your post makes good sense... 8)

The pump feed would normally be cut itself, somewhere behind the fusebox and long the drivers side sill. It would be most unusual for an alarm fitter to interfere with the output of the ECU. Even I wouldn't do it and I have and can read the diagrams.

It could be a broken wire between the ECU and fusbox? It's got to be worth belling out all the wires. Not a big job with the Bentley to hand

Gavin

The wire which has been put on to the fuel pump relay pin is an earth which is about 3ft long and is screwd onto frame behind centre console so my plan is to try and trace the original earth from behind the relay, from the fuse box to where it eventually goes to see if it's been messed about with in any way. Can see this being a real headache :( :( :(

Planning on going to CCGB at york if any kind soul wants to take a peek for me then :lol: if I have not got it sorted by then.

Just found a wiring diagram online (hurray) looks like spaghetti :shock: