Sign in to follow this  
veeDuB_Rado

Are You Glad They Never Made Another Corrado?

well im not "glad" exactly but im happier they never made another one, mostly because i think theyd ruin the name 'cos they'd never be able to recapture the form/exclusiveness of the corrado when it first came out (yes i was only 1 years old then!) but still you know what i mean, cos some cars have been ruined by awful re-makes,like so many other classic cars thats had their names ruined

It was good that they axed it when it was still selling strongly. I seriously doubt that VW could make another car with the all round ability of the C now - they could do it but you could guarantee they would price it too high, if a boogo Golf GTi is 20k, how much for a new G60 or VR6 Rado - would have to be 25-28k

A MK5 based Corrado would be superb and I wish VW had done a MK2 Corrado to address all the shortcomings of the original....much like the MK2 Golf was the real thing and the MK1 was the test bed.

i dunno, i like the shape and engine options and love the handeling, but i rekon a remake would kill it

Look at cars like the bmw 8 sieres, that came out around the same time as the corrado and lasted a little longer, but i think it will never be replaced.

new versions of cars like the corrado are always too soft and sponger, not as involving to drive or own, and they loose something for that. Dont get me wrong i like the mk5 gti and the mk4 too, but they are comfortable almost anonymous, but the corrado like the mk1 and mk2 golf's are a challenge to own as they are far from luxurious in comparisson

personal opinion mind you, but we do all modernise our cars, if even just in small ways :lol:

IF they made another Corrado it wouldn't be affordable anyway. Hell the Corrado didn't become popular until AFTER they quit making it. So if they made a new one it will be 10 years before I would like it. :lol:

Look at cars like the bmw 8 sieres, that came out around the same time as the corrado and lasted a little longer, but i think it will never be replaced.

Unfortunately, the 8 series, like the Corrado was overpriced and didn't sell well. It was also technically flawed in some areas and the body panels were stupidly expensive....again, as per Corrado.

Whilst I am glad the Corrado is exclusive (I still get people approaching me asking what the colour is and how they remember them when they were young, but never bought one) I really don't understand this community's reluctance to see a new one. I mean come on, MK5 fully independant platform, choice of a turbo engine or R32, 4WD, rock solid build quality and modern styling (hopefully modelled on the original), it would absolutely rock and I personally would be at the dealer to buy an R32 Corrado MK2 to park next to my MK1 VR :lol:

....much like the MK2 Golf was the real thing and the MK1 was the test bed.

Cue stream of purists trudging up to Hayward Castle, flaming torches in hands demanding the soul of the heathen ;)

Horses for courses...having owned a couple of Mk1s and a Mk2 and done a fair few miles in mates' Mk2s I still don't feel you can beat the feel of the Mk1. I guess it depends on the mileage you do - I used to do a lot of miles across the Cotswolds and back every weekend, and the Mk1 was just absolutely perfect for the job; the same journey in the Corrado soon after I bought it was actually a crushing disappointment. Same (to a lesser extent) with the Mk2. Neither came close to the sheer fun of chucking the Mk1 around those roads.

I really don't understand this community's reluctance to see a new one. I mean come on, MK5 fully independant platform, choice of a turbo engine or R32, 4WD, rock solid build quality and modern styling (hopefully modelled on the original), it would absolutely rock and I personally would be at the dealer to buy an R32 Corrado MK2 to park next to my MK1 VR

Couldn't agree more. If VW had made a Mk2 Corrado that had evolved in the same way the Mk2 GTI had evolved from the Mk1, although it would inevitably be softer it would be the car I would be buying now. Even if the finance was a little bit painful :)

Selling my own Corrado is a very reluctant move - I just can't afford to run 2 cars with my mortgage. I need something newer to pile on the business miles and the saddest thing is that there is NOTHING I lust after now that I lusted after same way as the Corrado when I finally got my hands on one :(

And to veeDuB_Rado - I was pretty much your age (I was 19) when I saw my first Corrado. South of France, on holiday with some mates, saw a German-registered black Corrado parked by the side of the road. The three of us were all over it like a rash.

I had never really given them much thought until last year, was just about to buy a Merc 2.3-16 and my wife persauded me to look at a Rado, less than twelve months later and I now have two

I personally would be at the dealer to buy an R32 Corrado MK2 to park next to my MK1 VR

LOL - not sure I want to refer to my Corrado as a MK1!

Just love it like it is. Had two guys hanging out their car widow yeterday in Bath giving me the "nice car mate".

Felt like the Renault advert LOL

i think now they would make a superb car, something from gti>r32/r34 style. but it would look like some rice peice of ass and be far too expensive.

i would like to see what they did though, VW have always surprised me in the aesthetic design dept!

but like the golfs, if they made another corrado they would make it rounded and too curvy, which would not look too good cos the rado is a sharp car IMO

I had never really given them much thought until last year, was just about to buy a Merc 2.3-16 and my wife persauded me to look at a Rado, less than twelve months later and I now have two

i wouldn't have been ashamed if you did go the merc "cosworth" route tho............sublime motor and rarer than the C