Sign in to follow this  
steveo29

quick charger question

just went out to fit a new small belt to the charger...as a precaution

i aligned the marks in the casing and fitted the belt...then turned it over a times by hand to double check

the charger makes a noise inside when turned..comes from the center where it splits near the alt, best described as a clonk :roll:

i had no issues witht the charger, 16psi boost w68mm, no oil leaks , no movement on either shaft when i chaged the belt...it was done by jabba :oops: prob less than 10 k ago

sound to me like your definatly out on yout timing marks. take the m6 bolt out of the top small pulley and use the keyways to time it up as the marks on the pulleys are not allways relibale.

okay ive just been out had a recheck...before you posted g man

the noise is sounds like something taking up some slack...say if a keyway loose.

i went ahead and started the car...sounded like it always does, and i used a long screw driver as a stethascope(spelling?) and the bearings purred as normal

what will/would happen if the marks were out....i was very to check how they were before i took the belt off and then checked about 10 times after i fitted the new one

just had another look...looks spot on

just so im sure both nothches should be "up" and lined up with the rib moulded intot he casing right?

just so im sure both nothches should be "up" and lined up with the rib moulded intot he casing right?

sounds like mines wrong then!

if i remember right,the arrows are pointing at each other on mine :?

Just checked my spare (knackered) one. As Daz says - both marks are pointing to 12 o'clock. Although the top one isn't visible in this pic.

well i checked it yet again, the marks are spot on , i drove the car into town , it sounds normal but i didnt go much over 3k

darren...what would happen if i was one tooth out?

maybe im too picky....it might just be the noise of the interanls moving around

Hm.. well I remeber when I had my car into Stealth for some work and I had the main belt removed, Vince was turning the charger by hand (as was trying to investigate a noise - turned out to be just a noisy belt) and there were absolutely no noises or clicks coming from the charger.. totally silent as it turned.

So perhaps best to get it checked out mate?

correct jim there should be NO knock / tight spots otherwise the worst will happen im afraid

hmmm i dunno what to do then....i know jabba aint the best, but its done very little mostly carefull miles

with a long screwdriver pressed against it in various spots it sounds fine..no bogus noise at all when running

darren...is there an option of open and inspect and go from there?im not sure i can afford a rebuild right now

is there any other checks i can make without pulling it apart

i will check it for free mate.. all you need to do is cover postage... where do you think the play is ? maybee its somthing i could help you with via PM or somthing to save you postage & downtime of your car ?

Urgent!!.

I was trying to check the timing on my G ladder. so I took off the bolt on the top pully(small one) to see where the keyway is .aligned bothkeyways pointing at 12. oclock.

but now as I turn the small pully (belt off),very slowly, I feel a light bump from inside the charger and the pully kinda stops and goes the opposite direction for a bit then comes turns back to normal . this happens every exactly 360 degrees . I have recently blown a charger and this is a new one I dont want to mess it up...if I have not already. :( did I just break the charger or what??? I cant belive it is so fragile......

I think the displacer gets stuck or some thing.? every half a turn of the small pully ...all I did was take off the bolt from the small pully and turned it very slow by hand.

STOP its not normal any tight spots will cause faliure to your unit. either a spring has broken up(thrown off an oil seal) or the timing is out... i would not risk running it untill you are completly happy the is running with no tight spots.

STOP its not normal any tight spots will cause faliure to your unit. either a spring has broken up(thrown off an oil seal) or the timing is out... i would not risk running it untill you are completly happy the is running with no tight spots.

ah well,i thought it was normal,but after inspecting mine there was a spring broken in an oil seal on the scroll,dont think it was causing the tight spot though :?

ah well,i thought it was normal,but after inspecting mine there was a spring broken in an oil seal on the scroll,dont think it was causing the tight spot though :?

riley- Is there any witness marks aroud the walls of your scrol? If there is it was the broken spring/ of a forgien object causing the tight spot.

yep,none near the edges/apex strips thank god!

and its still got the tight spot now even though its stripped,i know what the other guy means,it sort of jumps round,and the top timing bit starts going the wrong way :? (no timing belt attatched mind)

chargerstrippedoilncrap2.jpg

Riley, Looks like your tight spot could be the inner of the scrolls in your picture - black mark around the upper edge, close to the seal ?