Sign in to follow this  
BigTartanJudge

Fixing front number plates to bumper

Hey all,

Trying to find a method of mounting my front german plate to my C without drilling holes preferably and not using the standard recess (no longer there anyway). Not sure whether to put it at side or in middle of lower splitter or what to mount it with. Rather like this though see below, don't know how they managed it tho.

Cheers

I bought some number plate sticky pads from Halfords, as recommended by several ppl on here.

About £2.50 and very sticky!

Cant go wrong i wouldnt have thought

Lippy

I would use the Halfrauds trim tape that comes in a roll and is Megasticky and is what I use on both my front and rear number plates

Just got my personalised plate on my C on Saturday (using the plates from my old car for now until I get new ones made up), and am just trying to decide whether to buy a German number plate surround for the back one from JustMatz (won't bother with the front as it won't fit nicely - if at all).

I definately won't be drilling the plates whatever I do, as the hole for the front one goes right through the Euro symbol, and will look much cleaner if I stick them. I already have the Halfords trim tape and so will be using that.

What are peoples thoughts on the German number plate surrounds? Was going to go for the new style 'Jacobs' ones that JustMatz have.

Thanks for the advice but am looking for something a little more secure than trim tape (to avoid theft as well as avoiding it coming off at speed), aside from the fact that using tape will not work where I want to mount the plate as the surface isn't flat etc. Are they not some sort of brackets that can be used ? Pretty sure some folk on here have used this method, seem to remeber the relevant plates being fixed to the bumper off-centre ?

Cheers

Believe me trim tape is absolutely rock solid- All of the rubbing strips down one side of my car have been stuck on using the Halfrauds trim tape and I very much doubt they would come off without pulling all the paint off- its very, very strong on a plastic to paint bond :wink:

put it on the dash mate... or in the passenger side footwell. :wink:

or dont have one at all!! :wink:

I used them sticky pads from Halfords to put my German plate on my front bumper. Then PC Plod said they weren't legal and I had to take them off. It was near on impossible to get it off, ended up bending the plate so much I can't get it straight again. No chance of it falling off, and any thieves would have an easier time stealing valve caps or chrome rear badges. can't see why someone would want to steal a number plate they couldn't use or sell anyway, and if they're that determined to have it, then it would be best to make it easy for them so they don't damage your bodywork.

Slimbo, next time, slip some fishing wire behind the plate and use it like a rope saw... you'll have the plate off with no damage in a few moments... ;)

Yeah, it was lucky that the bodywork wasnt damaged when whoever ripped of my new plinth, german surround and plate and true valvecaps and chrome rear badges are more easily stolen, as I know to MY cost but then that's that you were getting at anyway slimbo ?

It's the fact that the trim tape / sticky pads wont work anyway as where I want to mount the plate doesn't have a flat surface or even enough area to stick a flat bit of tape / pad onto. Suppose I could make up a few small brackets out of alloy or buy some small brackets from diy store and stick pads to them to stick to the plate and then bolt the brackets to holes underneath / on top of the plate recess.

Cheers