Sign in to follow this  
NickVR6

VF vs VT Front mount

My VF front mount doesnt seem to sit quite right. well it looks fine but the bolt wont go right on the top, only 3/4s of the way up the nylock stuff!?

What the hey? Also pulling away in first gives a slight kick, not sure whats going on here, anyone else fitted the VF rather than a VT????

garage fitted and refitted and cleaned out the whole even but thats as far as it will ever go in?? :?

Cheers

PS im not knocking the mount here, it looks ni on ident to the VT one everyone raves about and its well solid with no dash vibration so this could well and probably will be a fitted it wrong solution! Just after some advice guys if anyones done a VF?

I have fitted a number of them, both VF & VT and there's nothing to go wrong!

The big washer goes on underneath to stop it pulling through and that's it!

Chris

Oh and theres no metal on the top well a tiny diameter bit, the engine bracket sits on the red rubber yeah?

They're exactly the same, albeit the VF being a copy of the VT, but VF uses poly inserts and VT uses rubber inserts.

I haven't tried the VF so don't know what it's like but if it's half as good as a VT then it will be good.

Nick, the top nut should be as the picture above mate. If you've only screwed it on 3/4 of the way, then that's your problem. It needs to be tightened up fully onto the mount otherwise the engine will rock back.

a mate of mine who has full access to a workshop full of lathes and cnc machines is going to be making some engine mounts for his mk2 and my g60 using stainless but we are looking into the various grades of polyurethane inserts to use, as there is a local company who can supply pretty much any shape size or grade of poly bush, anybody got any idea what would be the best grade?

he might also be making these to sell soon depending on how sucsessfull they are for around £60 per mount so as soon as he has the prototypes finnished i will put some pics up on here.

£60 sounds good!

Maybe you could use different grades of poly to suit different customers? Your poly supplier will know that as shure rating. 40 is about OE rubber stiffness and 80 shure is the stiffness of purple powerflex....to give you an idea.

i think he said they recommended sure 60 for most people which is probably what i will go for but my mates golf is on its arse and has poly's all round so he will probably go for something stiffer.

while we where looking at my original mount last weekend to get some measurements i discovered my front engine mount bracket that attatches to the engine had a bloody great crack in it and was being held together by about half an inch of weld so its quite lucky we checked it really, and thats with a standard mount so it wouldnt have lasted long with poly's, i will try and post some pics of it up later as it might be worth others keeping their eye out for the same problem.

Kev, its already on a fair bit more than 40nm ! I could go for 80, but that im sure would break it! Theres something inherantly wrong with the way its fitted then, although i cant beleive its poss to get something that simple wrong!

He ho, add to the list Vince! Least i know its not right cheers guys.

Im just childishly excited about taking my car to the man everyone raves about.

Having recently discovered what VW have butchered on my car whilest pretending to do work they never did and my garage having issue with fitting stuff i have no choice now anyway.

I am however completely skint and very worried about the bill. Im thinking they will be sorting everything then ill be staying in for the rest of the year looking at the car rather than driving it!

i'd take the mount off and start again after examiningthe mount and the hole, this a silly question really but are all the bolts that hold the metal bracket on present and tight?

Chris

I think so chris, my garage i would hope checked that as they said it didnt look right once fitted and re-tried.

Couple of guys from here are going to have a look with this weekend, so hopefully i will post the answer sunday! Which normally involves me looking like an eedyat!

Taking it easy for now until i know whats on with it!

They're exactly the same, albeit the VF being a copy of the VT, but VF uses poly inserts and VT uses rubber inserts.

who sells VF front mounts?

Erm...didn't you see the supercharger GB thread? i'm sure you did.

NSRacing do the mounts Lee

There was an arrangement to do them at the time for £90+vat=£105inc P&P

Chris