Sign in to follow this  
Storm Warning

New Studs and locking nuts

Hi all, I am running the standard Solitudes at the moment but shortly will ave my hands on a set of 17s (BBS RCs) First thing is should I get new studs while I am at it? if so where do I get them from?

Second thing is I need new locking nuts, my last ones ceased up and had to be smashed off recently. Which should I get, and where from?

Many Thanks in advance

The VW ones will probably be the wrong style, curved rather than tapered like most aftermarket wheels seem to be. The likes of Halfords sell wheel bolts and lockers. Just makes sure the threads are clean when you fit the new ones. A tiny bit of copper slip is good and don't forget to check the bolts are tight after 100 miles or so.

Gavin

Mate whatever you do get longer nuts when putting different BBS wheels on your car.

I lost a wheel on my early valver last summer just a week after putting on a set of BBS RX. Luckily it went up into the arch and I wasn’t going that hard. I used the original nuts which were a few mm short for the job.

I replaced all the nuts with longer ones & got a new set of locknuts (they were the only nuts keeping the other 3 wheels on the car) they weren’t cheap (for nuts that is) but I wouldn’t leave it to chance comparing the two there is a good 10 - 15mm in the difference.

At the time I thought someone had a go at my wheels but having heard a few other stories of lads loosing wheels on their Cs it made sense.

RX/RC use the standard Speedline bolts mate as they're a round seat.

I use the Speedline bolts (same as solitude ones) on my RXs without a problem. Just torque them up to 110nm and check them again week later.

Halfords sell the McGard locking bolts but don't expect them to be unique as I know for a fact McGard repeat sets. Use two sets if you value them as the chances of a theif having both keys is slim.

Perhaps 5*100 doesn’t have this same issue but from experience the early valvers 4*100 have short wheel nuts that can be dangerous when fitting aftermarket wheels.

They do have the same problem but it's just in this case the BBS rims in question just happen to take the same bolts!